Also need help finding

Jim Burr

I have a square salt box made as a gift several years ago. I saw this and being a spinny guy, I gotta make it http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku7755242/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C16%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Csalt%20box&cm%5Fsrc=SCH . I have magnets, but I'm looking for the correct stainless steel hinge for the pivot. The real spendy box on the next page uses both hinge and magnet. Help with sources? :bang:

Silly me Jim. I bought one of these from Williams-Sonoma when I should be making them. I took it apart and the "hinge" is nothing more than a stainless-steel spring pin (see below). I would think any SS pin would work.

img55m.jpg
img41m.jpg

Spring Pin:
dtxc9387.jpg
spm.JPG

Last edited:
Gentlemen, My sincerest thanks for the idea.

I'm the main cook in the house and I use a lot of kosher salt. I use it because you can pinch a small amount up. I've been using a little sugar bowl that came with a set of dinnerware, but my big ole fingers just don't fit.

This looks like a great project that I can size just right, and it might get me on my way to bowl making!

And right you are Bret. The salt box would make a nice complement to your cutting boards.

As shown in the pictures, the magnet is a quarter to a half way around the lid. I was thinking about my post above and I think the choice of spring pin is to to add enough friction to keep the lid from lifting off. Mine also uses two magnets set so opposite poles attract. If you swing the lid, it "jumps" closed.

Last edited:
Oh heck no!!! Brent...you can not have my idea...I don't care who had it first or what catalog it came from, you have to buy it from me!!!! :rofl:
Frank !! where can I get those pins?? Many thanks to the both of you!! :wave:

Jim thanks for the idea i work with a personal chef and this would be a great addition to our cooking supplies i will get my husband to make me one or ten right away hehe :D

Jim, Bret, and Dawn,

Looks like we will all be making these.

The spring pin is a common hardware item, Lowes, Home Depot (in the hardware department, in the pull out drawer section), or even an auto parts or boating store should sell them; if not on line.

It is rolled piece of metal in a tight "C" shape: (The hole should be slightly smaller than the pin O.D.)

Spring-Pin-Plain.jpg

I'll add the magnets should be easy to find also. In mine, the magnets are about 3/16" in diameter. I have purchased Neodymium magnets from eBay. Neodymium are exceptionally strong for their size.

m0.125dth.jpg

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of using a small piece of 1/4" threaded rod.

You could only turn it one way, but, hmmm...

Lots of interesting options here.

Jim, Bret, and Dawn,

Looks like we will all be making these.

The spring pin is a common hardware item, Lowes, Home Depot (in the hardware department, in the pull out drawer section), or even an auto parts or boating store should sell them; if not on line.

It is rolled piece of metal in a tight "C" shape: (The hole should be slightly smaller than the pin O.D.)

Spring-Pin-Plain.jpg

I'll add the magnets should be easy to find also. In mine, the magnets are about 3/16" in diameter. I have purchased Neodymium magnets from eBay. Neodymium are exceptionally strong for their size.

m0.125dth.jpg

Thanks Frank i'll be out tomarrow and probably pick some up

I've got a collection of these types of magnets already.

My wife jokes about a few things I tend to buy.

I seem to have difficulty not buying the following items:
* Flashlights
* Compasses (For Finding North :rolleyes:)
* Magnets

Now I'm finding it difficult not to go to ebay and buy MORE magnets!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I'm just like you Brent, I tend to "collect" many of one type of item. Just make sure you keep the magnets away from the compasses or you will never find True North. :D

Have you thought of using a 5mm barrel hinge?

Thanks Ron!

Salt boxes or cellars are of three general types; swing lid, lift lid, and open.

The ones shown in the pictures are swing lids, the lid rotates 360º on the spring pin. Another type of salt box is square in shape and has a lid. The idea is to be able to lift / move the lid, pinch some salt, and close the box after getting the salt; all with only one hand.

The third, open, (sometimes called a 'salt pig') is just an open top "pot" with salt in it.

Your hinges would be great for the lift type box with a slight extension on the lid to get your fingers under it.

Swing Type:
879.jpg

Lift Type:
te1602b.jpg

Salt Pig:
318WLpbfajL._SS500_.jpg

Its hard to imagine that no one in Fresno sells these pins. They should be available in Ace or True Value, or any tractor supply store or any auto parts store.

Maybe different terminology?

Download the picture and show the clerk. And HD probably has them as well, but they don't know it! I agree about the uselessness of the people they hire. They began business with the model to have experienced people and quality products on hand. Then they started stocking junk and hiring totally unqualified people. The dollar certainly outranks customer service. When we begin to be willing to part with a few pennies more for a product in turn for buying from someone who knows what they are doing, we will get our customer service back.

Thank you Carol!

I agree one could (should) find them several places. But, I really think any small pin would work, even a cut nail or brad. The cover is swung to the side and, because we are only talking about light lids, it most likely won't lift.

At Home Depot, or other hardware store, look in the pull out drawer section. Keep pulling drawers until you find one or something else that works.