Mountain Lion in LA

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Mountain lions aren't real common here in Los Angeles, but they do exist.
I saw my first one this afternoon, about two good Frisbee throws from our house.

Mountain%20Lion%20Location%20Annotated2.jpg

We get a lot of wildlife in our neighborhood, since we're literally on the very edge of town, but mountain lions are not seen often. To the north of our house is the Angeles National Forest. Here's a rough idea where we are in relation to the rest of the LA area.

Mountain%20Lion%20Location%20Zoom%20Annotated2.jpg

And zoomed a little farther back, to show where the other 8 million folks live:

Mountain%20Lion%20Location%20Zoom2%20Annotated2.jpg

Anyway, that was my urban wildlife adventure for the day.

Vaughn,

That's truly weird, they're usually pretty shy. All those years I spent backpacking in the sierras, I saw a mountain lion *once*, and then it was just a glimpse. There was always way more scat than cat, as we used to say. ;)

Even stranger: for years I'd heard reports about coyote sightings inside the beltway. Never believed them, in fact I literally laughed each time. Then, a couple months ago, I heard the unmistakable yippy howl, coming from down near the river. We have fox, deer, beavers, opsrey, you name it, but that was the first coyote...

Thanks,

Bill

Funny you mention the coyotes Bill. Just spoke with my parents and they mentioned that the coyotes have been coming into the inner parts of Phoenix, they corral the rabbits and chase them on to the golf courses for an easy meal.

I saw the title and thought you were posting about the confirmed reporting here in Louisiana.(LA) But I couldnt figure out why that would be national news. Its the first confirmed reporting in 20 years or so and they are doing DNA analysis(on droppings) to see if its a Florida panther which used to live here or a mountain lion from Texas/Arkansas.

they dont eat much!

and vaughn your safe your to thin:) have been in many ares that have them and been close but no cigars yet..had one in our area acouple years ago that was sighted but no one ever got it..sighted several tyimes within halfmile radius... so like other said they are rarely seen,,your lucky that you had the chance.

We have Cougers here. A developer cleared some land for an industrial park not far from our subdivision, next thing you know, folks were loosing their pets if they were left out at night. Big tracks and some un-verified sightings got the news papers looking but none were found but every now and then someone says they have seen one from the expressway... But might be my friend in his '68 Couger cruisin'.