Going Into Hock to Eat Unhealthy?

Nancy: You cannot judge the nasty old mutton of 40 years ago with the Lamb of today, but that is a different thread :)

I used to see a bumber sticker around here that read "Eat More Lamb, 50,000 Coyotes can't be wrong!"

I think there's something in human nature that makes using something we built ourselves more enjoyable, and eating something we grew ourselves taste better.

I looked into "baloney livestock" which is what the local cattle dealer calls it because grass fed animals tend to be stocky but lack the inter-muscling fat that gives the meat some flavor.

Thats funny, the grass fed beef I eat has plenty of flavor.
Just because some cattle dealer doesn't like the ones he has seen doesn't make them all garbage

Its the same assaying a vegetarian is more healthy then regular fed people, but is that true?They have to take supplements to get the protein the body really needs. I would say they are indeed different, but not really better. Its the same with baloney livestock. There is some market for it, but to be honest with you, I think its a farming fad that has about run its course. A few people touted it up as a way to generate a niche market for themselves, but the science just does not back it up.

And what science would that be? Fad? niche market?
Lets see Ron's been selling grass fed beef for over 30 years. He has customers travel 50 miles one way just to buy his beef. Far from being a fad I think.

Personally I prefer the taste of grass fed beef, Just like I prefer the taste of milk from grass fed dairy cows.

As for your science, well here you go. Grass fed beef is better for you.
FTA

The report says that three ounces of ground beef from cattle fed conventional diets contain about 41 micrograms of beta-carotene and a typical rib eye steak has 36 micrograms. In contrast, meat from cattle fattened predominately on ryegrass has almost double the beta-carotene, 87 micrograms in 3.5 ounces of ground beef and 64 micrograms in a steak.

Grass Fed vs. Grain Fed Beef