Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Last Supper" needed a frame.

"Last Supper" needed a frame.

A good client from the past called needing a frame for a cast piece she bought for a small church they (she and her husband) support. The color of the wood they have there is medium pecan.

These are photos of the front and the back of the casting. She called it pewter, I'm not sure, it doesn't matter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	24630

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	24631
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Are these see thru frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post

SSSSShhhhh!!!

"The emperor has no clothes on!"

...art

ps: I see the standoff posts, Shaz, so I'd go for something "floating" mysefl. Maybe a large panel. Hmm, or maybe an open frame that intersects at each post, so you just get the ends sticking out beyond the piece. That might be interesting also. Looking forward to see what you picked.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

How long are the pin/post? Is there any chance of cutting them down to where they can help hold the casting into a frame.

Hi Al ,
    Evidently you can't see it...S
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    SSSSShhhhh!!!

"The emperor has no clothes on!"
    Hi Art ,
    Shhhhhhhh, share that with no one!!!!!!!.....S

...art

ps: I see the standoff posts, Shaz, so I'd go for something "floating" mysefl. Maybe a large panel. Hmm, or maybe an open frame that intersects at each post, so you just get the ends sticking out beyond the piece. That might be interesting also. Looking forward to see what you picked.
    Thanks Art for you ideas. It is stimulating to consider your options knowing..... there will be an answer, Let it be.
    How long are the pin/post? Is there any chance of cutting them down to where they can help hold the casting into a frame.
    Al,
    The posts are standing out approximately 1 3/8" from the back of the casting. Before you read on consider how you might handle them and still wrap the casting with a frame.... S
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

It was suggested that the piece would be hung on a wall, however we know, We have several options! We know,.......They don't, as of yet!

It is already heavy. !!!!!! What do you think some options are for presenting the piece, for viewing by the congregation?
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

Shadow box?

this is why they gave the piece to you to mount.(if they were my friends, and asked me, Id send them your email and tell them to hire you)

now, no laughing here:

Me, Id go out and buy myself some nice 8/4 stock, glue it all up 18 inches wider than the piece on all 4 sides..
    Then, as the amateur I am, Id go buy me some heavy duty uh, dont know what they are called, heavy duty round steel clamps, like a hose clamp, but 1/2 inch thick. Use those 1.5 inch pegs in the back, holes large enough for the clamps to fit(countersink in back) and room to tighten them(allen wrench stuff, like a drill bit stop kinda clamp), put those pegs in back of the artwork, through the wood, clamp them secure, and hang it
    Last edited by allen levine; 10-14-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Any chance of being able to drill and tap those pegs for mounting? could mount it out from a background piece either a natural wood finish or cloth. then build out a frame with a 2-3 gap around the piece. Could even light it from underneath to create a halo effect.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Any chance of being able to drill and tap those pegs for mounting? could mount it out from a background piece either a natural wood finish or cloth. then build out a frame with a 2-3 gap around the piece. Could even light it from underneath to create a halo effect.

that would be too easy.