Thread: brass on the planes

brass on the planes

ok whats the best way to clean the brass on the old planes? the adjusting wheels and the screw tops? also after they are cleaned up, what over coat is best ? spray then with some laquer or is there a better way to keep them lookin good?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Years ago (1972) I joined what is known as ROTC...Reserve Officers something or other..... we used Brasso to clean our shiny brass buttons and belt buckles for inspection......does a great job cleaning
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

No matter what I've used before to clean brass, it always ends becoming dull.
    Lacquering brass parts delays a bit the process, but sometimes starts to peel off and the result is even worse because the piece has shiny spots and dull ones.

Eventually I just gave up and don't even bother, specially if we are talking about tools. I think that the patina due to use gives tools and many things certain character
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

see toni that the differnce you use your tools i just look at mine
    thask for the brasso tip ashman
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    see toni that the differnce you use your tools i just look at mine
    thask for the brasso tip ashman
    If I had to judge for your last "box" I'm pretty sure that it is the opposite way, unless you have so many different machines that you do not need hand tools at all
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

A buffing wheel and buffing compounds applies a light layer of way to the surface of the brass REDUCING tarnish, but of course time will kill it eventually. I cannot remember the color of the rouge to use...black perhaps? Vaughn can tell you better as I only use green and white but its on stainless steel and not brass.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"