Thread: Shop made photo tent

Shop made photo tent

I was having a hard time spending $50 for a photo tent, so I went to the crafts store and picked up $4 in cloth, and the hardware store for some fluorescent bulbs/aluminum fixtures ($18). Using some scrap to build some frames and left over hinges for assembly, below is what I came up with. The right side has a double hinge to allow it to fold over the left for storage. Still need to build some bases to clamp the lamps to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0616.jpg   IMG_0617.jpg   IMG_0615.jpg   IMG_0611.jpg   IMG_0612.jpg  

IMG_0603.jpg   IMG_0596.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looks great, Darren. The fold-up design make a lot of sense, and makes storage very easy.

I'd suggest making one more panel, for the top. It doesn't even need to be attached...just sitting on the three walls would be fine. Then, you can add a third light from above. This gives you a lot more flexibility. You can light one side brighter than the other (to increase the feeling of depth) and the light on top will help still keep the object well-illuminated.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great design Darren. Mine WAS a box with paper stick glued on the inside, the cat decided she looked better in it than some ugly ol wood. She gets behind the rear drape sheet and the other attacks her through it. When I start getting more turned I make a purdyer one. Gees, been reading Larry too long!
    There are no mistakes in woodworking until you run out of wood.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I had planned to make a top panel as well, just ran out of material. I was pretty happy with the results though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...I had planned to make a top panel as well, just ran out of material...
    Sheesh! Some guys will do anything for an excuse to go to the fabric store.

I get a kick out of the looks I get sometimes when I go to fabric stores. I prefer to do it when I'm in my shabbiest shop clothes, just to enhance the effect.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My wife did it for me. However, now that I think about it, it wasn't really $4, it really was about $50 by the time she came home with the new candles and halloween decorations she found there. So it probably would have been better to spend the $50 for the tent on-line...oh well, lesson learned....again.
    Darren