Shop made photo tent

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was having a hard time spending $50 for a photo tent, so I went to the crafts store and picked up $4 in cloth, and the hardware store for some fluorescent bulbs/aluminum fixtures ($18). Using some scrap to build some frames and left over hinges for assembly, below is what I came up with. The right side has a double hinge to allow it to fold over the left for storage. Still need to build some bases to clamp the lamps to.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0611.jpg
    IMG_0611.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 44
Looks great, Darren. The fold-up design make a lot of sense, and makes storage very easy.

I'd suggest making one more panel, for the top. It doesn't even need to be attached...just sitting on the three walls would be fine. Then, you can add a third light from above. This gives you a lot more flexibility. You can light one side brighter than the other (to increase the feeling of depth) and the light on top will help still keep the object well-illuminated.

Great design Darren. Mine WAS a box with paper stick glued on the inside, the cat decided she looked better in it than some ugly ol wood. She gets behind the rear drape sheet and the other attacks her through it. When I start getting more turned I make a purdyer one. Gees, been reading Larry too long!:doh:

...I had planned to make a top panel as well, just ran out of material...
Sheesh! Some guys will do anything for an excuse to go to the fabric store. :rolleyes:

I get a kick out of the looks I get sometimes when I go to fabric stores. I prefer to do it when I'm in my shabbiest shop clothes, just to enhance the effect. :p

:rofl:

My wife did it for me. :D However, now that I think about it, it wasn't really $4, it really was about $50 by the time she came home with the new candles and halloween decorations she found there. So it probably would have been better to spend the $50 for the tent on-line...oh well, lesson learned....again. :D