Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid Hybrid with granite top

Ridgid Hybrid with granite top

The R4511 looks pretty interesting for folks starting. A $600 replacement for the TS3650/3660 machines that have served many people well.

From an article:

This model (R4511, $600) will replace the venerable TS3650/3660 contractor-style tablesaw, which earned Top Tool honors in our review of that category three years ago. The new model not only features 1¾-inch-thick granite on top, but it also has a closed base sitting on stubby legs. You’ll still get the Herc-U-Lift mobile base with it, but the rip capacity has been reduced from 36 inches to 30 on the right side, as well as 20 inches on the left (thanks to split fence rail design).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

My hope is that this new saw will make quite a few TS3650/3660's pop up on craiglist soon after xmas when I will be in market for a new, slightly used, TS. I would hope for Home Depot's sake they get them in the stores before or just after thanksgiving weekend!

I've played around on the Steel City granite tops and they are great. No one gets mad when you put your cold drink on the top either!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

But the problem with HD now is that they don't display the big tools. Who's going to get to see this thing?
    With the granite top, I'm guessing Orion is making this for Ridgid? And being a granite top, I would also think that it would be cabinet mounted trunnions? Could be a killer saw in the price range it is at.
    Or will HD market it as a meat slicer and put it back with their kitchen cabinets?? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Looks like a great saw, Glenn.

Jeff, I don't know if a lot of 3650/3660 owners would trade in their saws for the improvements in the new one. Personally, I figure I'll keep my 3650 until I decide I need a cabinet saw, and even then, I'll probably keep my Ridgid if space allows.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Jeff, I don't know if a lot of 3650/3660 owners would trade in their saws for the improvements in the new one. Personally, I figure I'll keep my 3650 until I decide I need a cabinet saw, and even then, I'll probably keep my Ridgid if space allows.
    Oh, I want one, real bad! When I got mine, I knew nothing about cast iron. I mean, seriously, nothing! Used to set my coffee cup down on the top!

And, believe it or not, my mitre slots are not parallel. There's a lot of stuff I've done simply because I had to pick one or the other to align the blade to. It's why I could never build a decent two rail sled.

It was months before I knew enough to figure out what the problem was. My first thought was to return the top. Of course, by then, I'd set my coffee cup down on it several times...

Granite! Now, that's appealing! Of course, the odds of me getting that kind of money together any time soon are slim and none, and slim just left town...

Thanks,

Bill

Vaughn, I agree with you. I have the earlier 3612, and am wanting a cab saw badly. I will keep the 3612 and use as the outfeed table on the left end, and also to allow me to leave it set for daddos if need be. Of course, I would allow it to go away if I could get me a big honkin' MM slider. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Used to set my coffee cup down on the top!
    Some father/son "talks" cured me of this early in life. That and some hours of scrubbing the tops down with navel jelly to make them new again.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Its on their site now

Home Depot has the R4511 listed, not available but listed. I want to know more, looking at it seriously.
    Jerry

yeah, what he said....

I love my 3650, and someday when I move and get my 'big' shop going, I'll keep this one as a dado machine when I finally step up to a cabinet saw.

pssst Vaughn, do you remember How to use the TS? Haven't seen anything flatwork related that you've built in a Long time... but then who am I to talk, eh?
    -Ned

I personally think the 30" rip width is getting really slim. It may be the "guy" in me just wanting the biggest I can get, but this would slow me down in a purchase decision.

This IS a big step for Rigid ( HD ) trying to attract the WW hobby market.