I think I might need a bigger lathe...

Greg Cook

Western Washington had the worst wind storm in over a decade last night. Combined with the wettest November in history, and rain in December..... I had a bad night last night. :eek:

I was very lucky, and blessed.

Is Douglas Fir any good for turning? :rofl:

OK I'll iliminate the other post for ya since this ones got more picture..;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cook
Is Douglas Fir any good for turning? :rofl:

Not unless you like a lot of sap oon your lathe..;)

Yes you were luckey. It looks like your boats came out unscathed and that sectioon of fence may even be able to be put back up.

Thanks, Don.

One missed my BMW, one missed my boat, one missed my patio roof in the back, and the other one through the fence missed the neighbor's deck. it's a real mess, and I have been without power for almost 24 hours now.

I love generators!

Greg

Last edited:
Glad you are okay, I was thinking of you the other day when I listened to the Today show. Sounded like you were getting pounded.

Good thing it didn't hurt the boat too.:D

Wow Greg, I wondered why I hadn't seen or heard from you. Glad to see the damage was no worse than it was. (The forum Roofing Fund is probably a bit tapped out right about now.) ;) :p Hang in there and stay dry.

Oh, and Don is right about turning fir...:eek: Do you have a fireplace or woodstove? If so, you're set for a while.

Greg

Glad you're ok. If stuff had to fall it certainly did it in the right direction. That is a lot of wood down in the yard, if you sent Stu a plane ticket he can come over and saw it up for you

Jay

Greg

Glad you're ok. If stuff had to fall it certainly did it in the right direction. That is a lot of wood down in the yard, if you sent Stu a plane ticket he can come over and saw it up for you

Jay

In a heartbeat :thumb:

Might have trouble getting the chainsaw on the plane though:huh: ;) :D

You sure are lucky Greg! Just think, those trees had years and years to aim, and yet they missed!...... or....... maybe they DID hit their targets :thumb:

Not much good for turning, but it makes GREAT lumber for nearly everything else, and if nothing else, it makes really good firewood (keep you awake too as it pops like crazy :D )

Glad you are OK.

Cheers!

Well, we're still without power. Puget Sound Energy (PSE) is saying "plan on a few days". They had 80 main power lines, from dams, damaged and have 20 repaired. Next they are going to the sub-stations, then to the neighborhoods. Along with this, they have to remove trees that are donw, cutting lines, or leaning that could cut lines. They have additional crews here, or coming in from California, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado, and British Columbia, Canada.

I've got full tanks in the generators, and an additional 16 gallons, which should last me the duration...hopefully. Gas has been a problem, as people are filling up their cars, trucks, spare tanks as if it's their last chance... Most stations are opening at 6:00am and out of gas by noon. Some have lines for miles, and the police have been called in, at some, to direct traffic and keep the customers calm. Complaints of cutting in line are the most common cause of arguments...trouble.

It's 32 degrees right now, both outside and inside... I just got up and fired up the generators and heaters. I still have about 6 gallons of kerosine, with full tanks in the heaters. That might be close, but I also have a couple of electric heaters. I am definitely going to wire a "jumper box" into my home heater system so I can power the fan. (The heater is natural gas)

People have been pretty good so far, but patience is starting to get thin, from comments on the radio. One of our local radio stations is running 24 hrs a day now, with reports, and listener call-ins. PSE still has 620,000 homes without power, and most complaints is the lack of information. Most know PSE can't give exact date/times, but they have not done the best job of trying to keep us generally informed. The actual repair crew are very much appreciated, but the mgt and information departments are definately not up to speed.

Restaurants are packed, waiting lines are hours. I can't believe that there are that many homes with electric cook stoves, and electricity rates here in WA are high. I have plenty of food, so I cook at home, and am not concerned. I plug in the refer/freezer a couple of times a day to keep the temp down, and close the door a lot quicker than I normally do....

It's tree cutting/trimming day today. I have a chipper/shredder to take care of most of the smaller limbs, I can put the cut rounds on the driveway with a "free wood" sign on it, and imagine they won't last long. I won't keep it, as my wife is really bothered by the smoke, even in small amounts.

Thanks to all for their comments and concern.

Greg