health update

Ned Bulken

Well some folks might recall I've been going to the doctor the past few months (july august and again last week), well the physical was in August, and other than cholesterol and my weight situation it looks like I'm in 'OK' shape. (exhaustive blood tests, and the cholesterol was the only thing that needed attention. including my PSA numbers)
I had an echo cardiogram stress test today... I have had a few mild chest pains when walking up hills at work the past few months. The pains pass within a few minutes, and the cardio doc said it is related to my sleep apnea.
SO
Time to get back behind the mask when sleeping again (I got tired of waking up with the mask hissing in my ear) Not sure if I'll need another overnight sleep test, or simply update my cpap machine. It has been several years since i first got the machine, and hopefully something newer will work better.

Last edited:
Good to hear all is good Ned. Was starting to have some of the same issues myself, but everything checked out fine. The last two months I've been hitting the pavement and walking up a storm every morning. Have lost a few pounds and starting to feel pretty good. Seems like a magic pill, but a lot of symptoms I didn't think were related have seemed to cleared up and sleeping a lot better too.

Good Luck.

Good on you Ned!

Here's a formula I'm trying to follow:

Feel Good = (Beer = 0) + (sleep >= 7) + (food < 2000) + (exercise >= 45)

If I follow the formula, I have no heartburn, sleep through the night, lose weight and feel good....

But seriously, Been trying the "Body For Life" program lately. It's easy. A little exercise every day and several small simple meals really seems to work. Now if I could just get back on the program since i just got back from vacation...:D

Hi Guys,

Glad to hear good things from you Ned. I had an echocardiogram a week or so before surgery and that all checked out good. Seems that even with a little elevated cholestrol, I'm still OK in the circulatory department. In fact the technician said my aorta was very clean for a man my age and with my chloestrol numbers. (which I don't recall at this time)

I agree with Darrin too about walking exercise. I know I will be feeling better when I get back to my job as I walk all over the property doing my work. My inactivity now is about driving me nuts. Brent sounds like he has a plan too.

I'm getting better every day, for sure. I was thinking I was having a setback with all the pain I was experiencing but after the Doc removed that "beloved" catheter yesterday, Life is Good again. I've been having pains where I didn't even know I had places. This has been my first ever internal organ work done on me.

After reading Allen's thread, I am glad to see we are taking good care of ourselves.

Aloha, Tony

Glad to hear things ar OK. After a minor surgery deal next week and the following recovery, I am back on the exercise plan. Once you leave 50 behind, you realize; if you are going to feel bad every day, you've got a lot of bad days to go ;-) If I can take at least half as good of care of myself as I do of my tools all will be well. Best wishes to you.

glad to hear you doin better tony, keep up the good work there.. in that nice warm air and al the purty flowers and hula"s:D:thumb: and mr ned walk more..and eat less fast food..its a recipe for disater the fast food...

Geez, we're all getting old. I went to the doctor the other day too. Let me tell you, there are few experiences in life less pleasant than nosing the smell of one's own flesh burning! :doh: It's my just desserts, I suppose, for growing up in southern California...

I have got to get back to exercising. It sounds nuts, but I didn't have all these problems when I was 50 pounds lighter... :dunno:

Thanks,

Bill

Geez, we're all getting old. I went to the doctor the other day too. Let me tell you, there are few experiences in life less pleasant than nosing the smell of one's own flesh burning! :doh: It's my just desserts, I suppose, for growing up in southern California...

I have got to get back to exercising. It sounds nuts, but I didn't have all these problems when I was 50 pounds lighter... :dunno:

Thanks,

Bill
don't you just love that? That was last week's visit... with more to come on another trip...

NED jeesh, me and you, some pair we make.
lets face it, we both barely made it into my little car.
we both need to take care of ourselves, I believe we are in similar boats.

I hope youre feeling good these days, I might be making a trip up to wny soon, and I was hoping to get a few bandsaw lessons on my way home.(how to load blade, set it, how to know if im getting a decent machine, and so on)

tony,get well quick.

Last edited:
NED jeesh, me and you, some pair we make.
lets face it, we both barely made it into my little car.
we both need to take care of ourselves, I believe we are in similar boats.

I hope youre feeling good these days, I might be making a trip up to wny soon, and I was hoping to get a few bandsaw lessons on my way home.(how to load blade, set it, how to know if im getting a decent machine, and so on)

tony,get well quick.

Allen,
I'll have the coffee on, and even put the top step on the stairs if you give me enough notice! And folks... just imagine two gents with a few extra lbs in a really nice, fast, small car. (Allen can tell you what it is if he likes... suffice to say I was surprised at how small it was inside)