Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood question

Plywood question

Is there a "Pine Plywood" out there or something similar.

Also is birch ply a good substitute for Oak Ply??

I'm doing some research prior to calling my lumber supplier.

I have a commission for a shelving unit and looking at options.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Here is what Yahoo turned up on pine plywood.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...iscqry=&fr=sfp

The grain of Birch isn't anything like Oak. Birch is a hard wood but is soft compared to Oak.

Welcome to the Family Woodworking Forums.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Ralph,
    personally I'd say that CDX is an example of 'pine' plywood, but obviously very rough. Birch is similar to maple ply, perhaps not quite as hard, but it stains/looks enough like it that I used birch ply with maple trim and it looks like it is all out of maple.

oak, unless you're getting quartersawn, I just don't like the way the grain flows on the plywood I've see in oak. It has to do with how they peel the layers off of the log, just doesn't do much for me. Your mileage may vary of course.

ever get that benchtop into action?
    -Ned

Hi Ralph,

Oak and birch ply are two different animals cosmetically. The cost is pretty close, so I'm not sure what your asking.

If your plans call for oak sides, you're probably going to cover the front edge with banding or a face frame. You can also cover the edges of the shelves.

The way ply is today, if I were making a shelving unit that would carry much load, I would consider using baltic birch plywood for the shelves; stronger and more quality build.
    Bob Ross
    WALNUT ACRE WOODWORKING
    Ideas, Products & Accessories for Serious Safety-Minded Woodworkers
    www.walnutacrewoodworking.com

Please Pray for Our Troops
    Semper Fi!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Hi Ralph,

Oak and birch ply are two different animals cosmetically. The cost is pretty close, so I'm not sure what your asking.

If your plans call for oak sides, you're probably going to cover the front edge with banding or a face frame. You can also cover the edges of the shelves.

The way ply is today, if I were making a shelving unit that would carry much load, I would consider using baltic birch plywood for the shelves; stronger and more quality build.
    Bob

Would you just use a veneer to cover the Baltic Birch to match the rest of the project?

I usually put a wood dress edge of 1/4" or 1/2" thick on the face edge of the shelf or maybe a thicker wider piece as a stiffener maybe even 3/4" x 1 1/2" like I did for shop cabinets. Also if the cabinets are floor to ceiling I usually go about 1/2 way down the height & put in a non movable shelf with a 3/4" x 1 1/2" face frame rail on the front. Like this cabinet the shelf just below the glue bottles & spray cans is a solid shelf with a face frame rail on the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1 myshop 084B.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-17-2008 at 09:24 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I've seen "Knotty Pine" particle-core 4x8 sheets at the borg. It's not as common as Oak or Birch ply, but I have seen it.

I've used Birch ply as a substitute for Maple ply, but as Bart said, it sure ain't Oak.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 10-17-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarification
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Bart,

Yeah, I think I used a shotgun for a rifle shot .

If the project calls for me to be concerned about the appearance of the shelves, I'll probably charge for and use solid wood. If I use plywood, it's probably going to be a "utility" type piece where there will be so much crap on the shelves nobody can see them anyway . If you put a gun to my head and promised me big bucks, I might do veneer.

I agree about the "1x2" shelf edging and I think I would consider it for anything over 30" wide.
    Bob Ross
    WALNUT ACRE WOODWORKING
    Ideas, Products & Accessories for Serious Safety-Minded Woodworkers
    www.walnutacrewoodworking.com

Please Pray for Our Troops
    Semper Fi!!

I have seen, AND heard mention (I think on the Forum here) about a plywood that IIRC was called Sand Ply, which had the normal fir/pine cores but had at least one side that was a clear pine or fir face. It was light colored and had little or no grain pattern and would not compare to oak Ply, but would be fine for a painted finish OR staining if you didn't care that it had no grain pattern. It was naturally somewhat more expensive than something like CDX but cheaper than Oak Ply.

Thanks for the input

I'm glad I asked about the birch. I heard people talk about using it in place of another wood. After reading the replies I remember now it is Maple.

The piece will be 24" wide 12" deep with 4 fixed shelves about a foot apart. Ply back and matching wood face frame.

Ned, the counter is not in place yet. I am having reservations about the computer bench. I am hoping and have a couple opportunities for work right now. I don't want to work on computers all day then come home and do it some more. If I cut the top for the computer desk it won't work for the shop. So in a few more words, I'm still weighing my options.

Pics for everyone when the shelving project starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Connor View Post
    The piece will be 24" wide 12" deep with 4 fixed shelves about a foot apart. Ply back and matching wood face frame.
    ok ralph on 24 " you could possibly get by without face banding but the looks and strenght far out weight the time of not doing it.. i would suggest a rabbit joint on the banding to give it a finnished look or you could just attach to the face with some glue and a nail or two .. baltic birch ply is much better than the regular borg stuff and for what your after you should be able to use borg stuff just fine
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!