plate

John,

Beautiful plate. Care to share any "how to's"? I'm still learning and would really appreciate any techniques you might use.

Thanks,

That's a great piece you've turned, John. I esp. like how you took the time to orient the blank to get a perfectly symmetrical pattern: could you post a picture/explanation of which part of the log you used to obtain the pattern?

Thank you all for your kind comments sorry it's took so long to get back one comp five people using it and it seem's I'm at the end of the pecking order :dunno::doh:

Beautiful work John...could you add a pic of the back side?

John, that is a beautiful plate. The wood is gorgeous as well. I too would like to see the back.

Jim and Mohammad at the moment I do not have a picture of the back and the digital camera is away on it's holidays with my son.:(..........but when it is back I will post the picture you have asked for:)

That's a great piece you've turned, John. I esp. like how you took the time to orient the blank to get a perfectly symmetrical pattern: could you post a picture/explanation of which part of the log you used to obtain the pattern?

Gari the wood is silver birch and the blank was cut off a log 12ins in dia it is from the outside of that log about 3ins thick then cut into the round on the bandsaw I mounted it with a screw chuck in the heartwood and turned the tenon in the sap wood :)

John,

Beautiful plate. Care to share any "how to's"? I'm still learning and would really appreciate any techniques you might use.

Thanks,

Lee This wood was delivered to the house by a landscape gardener on the day he cut it down it had started to rot. After cutting the blank and mounting it as above I cut the tenon after turning the sapwood wood down a fair bit to get to good wood. Remounted on the chuck I rough turned to about 1ins thick and then it was dryed in the microwave with about 8 cycles of 2 min on defrost and waiting till it was cool in between cycles . It was also weighted when cool on each cycle it was allowed 2 days to settle in the house before any more turning. The piece warped after the drying process but not by to much. It was put back on and finished turned with a 3/8ins and 1/4 ins bowl gouges last cuts were with a sharp 1/4ins in a shear scraping action the lathe was at 750 rpm. The bottom was finished on a longworth chuck, it was all sanded down to 400 grit and finished with a soft wax, this is a display piece in the house. This has been in the house for about 3 months and a week or so in it started to warp again and I thought that it would have to be thrown out, but I left it in the living room and after a month the warping had become less untill now it is almost back to normal :huh::huh::dunno: has anyone had this happen to them? I would be interested to find out. I'm still learning myself Lee this is what is good about this site it allows all skill levels to gain information that you are looking for. It seems that the questions that I have have already been asked within the forum and it has helped me get better at this rather enjoyable hobby. Long may it continue :) :):wave: