best sig line of the day (so far)

The other day I came up with my own saying and quite by accident. I had cut some wood and sold it, but looking at the tree length pile on the ground is quite different then being on the truck. When it was hauled away, it was plain to see it was 5 cords and not 6 which I had received. Being the kind of place this is, the guy that bought it shrugged it off and said "You did me favors in the past and its good wood. I'm satisfied with what I paid and what I got."

Well I don't do stuff like that. If I get paid for 6 cord, then 6 cord it will be. So for some reason I said this which I thought was good considering it was a conversation in the middle of a hay field in the middle of the night while standing on the running board of a tractor trailer truck.

"No Steven, a man has to square up with the world because you never know when he might leave it."

I just think as society too many people try to take advantage of the people of this world. If just one person sees this signature line and applies it just one time, its worth posting it.

By the way I did square up with him the next day as I cut another cord of wood to make up for the loss. Perhaps if I was up against it I could have let his offer to take 1 less cord stand, but the reality is I got plenty of wood. It was only right to give him 6 cords for the payment of 6 cords, and then always remember he would have let it go had the circumstances been different.

...a man has to square up with the world because you never know when he might leave it."... It was only right to give him 6 cords for the payment of 6 cords, and then always remember he would have let it go had the circumstances been different.

Travis,
He might have 'let it go,' but he'd also have remembered it forever. Making it right, like you did, was the only way to properly and ethically handle it.

Good on ya!

Good for you Travis.

This man will remember you as an honest and trustfull person instead of "that guy who cheated him once".

Besides, I'm pretty sure that that night you slept very peacefully, did you?

Good better best never let it rest till your good is better & your better is best.

Passed down to me from my Dad who received it from his high school English teacher.

After I graduated from high school I worked in a recovery/retirement center & ended up taking care of my Dad's English teacher. I don't whether its good or bad but when I walked into her room the first time she read my name tag & said I know that name. A great lady with a great sense of humor.

Good for you Travis. This man will remember you as an honest and trustfull person instead of "that guy who cheated him once". Besides, I'm pretty sure that that night you slept very peacefully, did you?

I was not thinking so much that as I was of someone telling my daughter" your dad stole a cord from me once".

I cannot control what others say about me to my daughter, but I can live by example so that that when others might say "your old man is a thief," or "Your dad is a loser", she will know it was said out of spite, anger or jealousy and just does not hold any truth to it.

To answer your question though, I did sleep well that night and in some respects this has a woodworking ring to it. Years ago (1996ish) I made a wooden model of one of his trucks,complete with loader and logs and everything. I could do a better truck now that I am a better woodworker, but back then it was the best I could do. He mentioned it that night. "You built me a log truck a long time ago and I never repaid you." (custom wooden model)

In some respects I could have taken it as his way of repaying me, but as I said I am not up against it. I got the wood so why not make 5 cord 6 which is what he paid me for? The next day I was beat from logging the day before anyway so I rested this old bag of bones and cut his cord and a half of wood.

1½ cord for 1 missing cord of wood?

It was 1½ cord because I figure the extra ½ cord ($50) would make up for the second stop he would have to make to pick up the missing wood.

Last edited:
Kind of a side story here, but no one seems to mind my ramblings...

Anyway this very same guy, Steven has a lot of earth moving equipment, and has a pretty good sized farm too. For 3 years a neighbor and retired guy, Jim Looney drove his trucks hauling chopped corn from field to farm to feed the cows. He never took a penny for doing it either.

What he was doing was building up credit so his old house could have a septic system put in. Well Jim died suddenly back in 2004.

This year his Steven put in a Septic System free of charge ($2000 cost) to his widow. Granted it took awhile for the favor to be repaid, but in essence Jim Looney "got squared up with the world, AFTER he died."

You just never know when a favor is going to be repaid. We all need to do more favors in my opinion.

My favorite is, " Yes, the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy. The men's department!!!!"

Semper Fi!!!

My favorite is, " Yes, the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy. The men's department!!!!"

Semper Fi!!!

In July, 1943, during the Munda operation, a Marine detachment made the classic dawn assault on a New Georgia beach. As they came tearing up on the beach looking for Japs, a party of white men stepped out from behind trees and waved to them. Marine jaws dropped as the party approached and Seabee Lieutenant Bob Ryan, of Santa Paula, Cal., extended his hand to the Marine major.

"Major, the Seabees are always happy to welcome the Marines!" Lieutenant Ryan said warmly, with a heavy tongue in his cheek. Then a Seabee boatswain's mate walked over, clapped a Marine private on the back and quipped: "What kept yuh, bud?" The quip was almost too much for a self-respecting Marine to take. Great oaths rent the air and there was much stamping of earth before the Montezuma boys got around to appreciating the Seabee jest.

Lieutenant Ryan's party had been scouting for an airstrip location when they spied the Marines approaching. The Marines insisted that the whole affair was a frame-up, but the Seabees contend that it is typical of the manner in which they must "protect the Marines."

Another of the rivalries during WWII between the Marines and the Seabees was the question of who was there to protect who?

The Seabee's & the rest of the Navy has always liked & admired the Marines if we can't have a little rivalry life would indeed be dull. So be good there Greg you old sea going bellhop .:eek::):D:wave::rofl::thumb:

Here is an interesting site.

http://www.seabeesinfohq.org/dyk.htm

Last edited:
Kind of a side story here, but no one seems to mind my ramblings...

Anyway this very same guy, Steven has a lot of earth moving equipment, and has a pretty good sized farm too. For 3 years a neighbor and retired guy, Jim Looney drove his trucks hauling chopped corn from field to farm to feed the cows. He never took a penny for doing it either.

What he was doing was building up credit so his old house could have a septic system put in. Well Jim died suddenly back in 2004.

This year his Steven put in a Septic System free of charge ($2000 cost) to his widow. Granted it took awhile for the favor to be repaid, but in essence Jim Looney "got squared up with the world, AFTER he died."

You just never know when a favor is going to be repaid. We all need to do more favors in my opinion.

You live in a good part of the country. That wouldn't happen everywhere.

I read one on the John Bridge tile forum the other day that went something like this. "There is a fine line between a fisherman, and someone just standing on the beach." I thought it was cute for someone who fishes. (soooo not me!)
My Dad told me one my Granddad used to say about what hitting your thumb with your hammer meant, but being this is a Family forum, I guess I'll have to keep it to my self for now. :D Jim.