Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and the piece of wood went 'snickt'

and the piece of wood went 'snickt'

I was just fiddling around last night, making shavings out of some fahrwood, (related to dunno wood, but the name tells the source)...
    Not really making anything in particular, just practicing beads and coves when snickt and the drive center was all by its lonesome. The work fell down behind the lathe and the other half just dropped onto the ways. No fanfair, but it was my first 'catch' I just hope they're all that un-spectacular

(pssst Stu... I did some work in the shop first before I broke out the lathe)
    -Ned

Wait til you skip one off your forehead. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    ...No fanfair, but it was my first 'catch' I just hope they're all that un-spectacular...
    Don't hold your breath there, Bud. There will be more spectacular catches. Here's hoping they all do no more damage than this one did.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I would count that as an anomaly. I find pieces all over and think to self "hmm that went to the bottom of that bowl I did for.... this went to the bangle that disintegrated..." . All I can say is that I have learned to LOVE my face shield after I got a vase to the forehead.
    There are no mistakes in woodworking until you run out of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Johnson View Post
    Wait til you skip one off your forehead. Been there, done that.
    Those really wake you up don't they.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Don't hold your breath there, Bud. There will be more spectacular catches. Here's hoping they all do no more damage than this one did.
    Yep, just put your lathe in front of a window, that will just about GUARANTEE more more spectacular catches
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yep, just put your lathe in front of a window, that will just about GUARANTEE more more spectacular catches
    I have no idea what's you're talking about there, Mr. "I work in a windowless Dungeon and therefore can only break bones" Ablett.

Plus, the window is a safety feature. It's a known law of the Universe that flying indoor objects will always seek the shortest path to something breakable. With the window so nearby, my safety is assured as long as I don't stand between the window and the flying object.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Of course I have never did that! Yea right. That was a pretty harmless catch. Vaughn you are right. As long as there is a window I feel fairly safe.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There is no window near me but I have got real good at ducking real quick. Especially after one piece bonked me good on the forehead.

Way back when..... I was turning a wood Purse (back in the early '70s when such was so "Mod") basicly a lidded bowl shaped like a bowling ball, with a leather strap etc. Anyway... there I was in the early morning standing in front of a honkin' big PM (Green) lathe Paring off the lid when the screws pulled out (back then we only had faceplates as chucks were still being reserved for the machine laths) Chonk!

Later that day I awoke with dried blood cut on my chin, big hicky on the back of my noggin where I hit the concrete floor and on Bonerfide headache, sun was going down and LOML was wondering why I hadn't come home.

Lathe still turnin' as I gathered my senses and wandered to the car to drive home. That was the most dramatic ketch I ever experienced and to think I slep through most of it.... Come to think of it it was rather uneventful. don't remember most of it but I do remember....