Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info on HF Bridge style tile saw.

Looking for info on HF Bridge style tile saw.

Anyone have any information on the Harbor Freight 1 1/2 HP Bridge style tile saw? I know the 2 1/2 HP regular style tile saw from them has received good reviews on the wood forums, but the regular price went up 70.00 since last April (was reg 229.95, and on sale at 199.95), and is not on sale right now. The Bridge saw retails for the same 299.95, but is on sale for 229.95, and comes with a stand and a blade, both extra on the other unit. We finalized the tile for the "Pink Room" today, and hope to pick it up next weekend. Should be ready to start laying it the weekend after that. Maybe the other saw will go on sale between now and then, but if not...
    Thanks for any help you can offer. I did look at Craig's List, but nothing there of any quality for a decent price. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I don't know anything about the HF tile saws, but what's the price to rent a pro one? (Or do you have enough other tile work coming up to make it worth purchasing one?)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jim,

I went ahead and bought one... I think I paid about 25% more than the highest price you quoted. That was three years ago... since then I've done four more tile floors. The thing was worth every penny... I'd hate to have to rent one every time I need it. It was also worth every penny to get a new blade to replace the one that came with it, so don't forget to factor that in. I'd go and look up the model, but it just went back into it's storage spot, high up in the rafters. It's the kind where the table slides under the stationary blade...

Thanks,

Bill

Never looked at theirs, but I bought a cheap one. Looks like a little table saw and cost in the range of $50? I don't remember exactly. But I have used it on several jobs in this house and it has more than paid for itself. I am sure a bigger one would be faster but I have no complaints on this one. It's a little messy but I expected that.

I have cut 12 x 12 floor tiles down to the 2" tiles for the shower. Not trying to talk you out of a bigger one, but this one has been great. Probably a little slower but if I ever build another house I would just buy another one like this.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I'm real fond of the Workforce from Home Depot; I put myself thru med school with it. The only thing that forced me to get a new one was theft. I see it on sale for $88 all the time. has a nice small footprint too...about 16x16.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Vaughn, I rented one when we did the other house. Seems like about 45.00 per day back then. I could have paid for a HF unit about 1 1/2 times. We will eventually tile most of the rest of the house, so it only makes sense to go ahead and buy one at this point.

Bill, I bet yours is the one I'd rather have. But it is the one that went up in price and not on sale. The other problem is that we are looking at some 18 X 18 tiles, and I don't think it will cut tiles that big. The bridge style will cut up to 24 X 24, so would be better for me, IF it is a decent unit.

Jeff, the tile size would be the deal ender there again. I'm sure if I was just doing wall tile, or floor tile up to 12 X 12, the little ones would do just fine. I even priced a used one at the rental store years ago, and it was still about 500 clams. Of course, those are the 1800.00 units, so it wasn't out of line, just out of my range.
    Thanks guys. Hopefully someone will know something good or bad about the bridge unit. I'm going to end up having to spend my tool money I was saving to get a cabinet saw on this, and I don't want to spend all of it! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Jim,

I found this tool to actually improve the speed of my straight cuts.

I bought a small saw to make the other cuts with. It slow in comparison to what you are looking at.

You might check out this forum, John Bridge its a very freindly place and all the pros will offer up advise to you. Heres a link over there for the saw you are looking at. LINK

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

Randy

Well, there wasn't anything on TV to keep me home, so I went out and got some paint for the ceiling, and the Venetian plaster for the entry that we are going to try, and looked at the Lowe's version of the bridge saw. Wasn't impressed. Went on over to HF and looked at theirs, and again, didn't overly excite me. Looked like it would work, but was not smooth sliding across the bridge. Saw a stack of the 2 1/2 hp sliding table saws like I originally wanted, no price on them. Found a flier that was not on line, and lo and behold, it was on sale for 229.95 also. Gave them my 15% off coupon I printed off the net, it scanned in, and I left paying about 212.00 out the door! I'm a happy camper!!
    So now I need to find a blade on line and order. HD had a Ridgid blade for 49.95, and a Husky for 34.95. Lowe's had a DeWalt for 34.95, I think. I'll look on Amazon to see what they have, and make my decision.
    Thanks again for all the help that has been offered. I think the bridge saw would have been fine, but I feel much better about the sliding table saw. It is a type of saw I have used before. I just have to tell TLOML that she can't use anything over 18 X 18 tiles or she will have to buy the next saw, and it won't be cheap. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Vaughn, I rented one when we did the other house. Seems like about 45.00 per day back then...
    Wow, I didn't realize they were that expensive, It definitely makes sense to buy one if you're gonna use it more than a couple days. Congrats on finding the one you really weanted in the first place, (on sale to boot).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sounds like you got a great deal Jim, good for you!

I have to ask, 18" tiles, these are for the wall right?

I could not imagine 18" floor tiles, I'd be darn sure they would crack over time

I'm sure that you will get a lot of use out of the saw, I think that now you have the saw, you will see tiles as a perfectly good option when it comes to finishing a room, if you did not have the saw, I'd think tile would, for the most part, be off the list of options.

Now, one more thing.................

.......New Saw..........?? 

I don't see ANY pictures of a NEW SAW.......... do you guys.....

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward