Magnetic Featherboard

Stu, with the Saw's table waxed, and using only One magnet, is the one that lays on the table to press the workpiece against the fence strong enough to keep it from sliding across the table when pressure is applied against it? Just curious.:dunno: I know the one mounted on the fence to hold the work down against the table should be fine, since that is the strongest magnetic attraction direction. Also, does your fence have any tendency to lift at the back when using that hold down? I know that some folks with Biese clones have showed an L shaped gizmo hooked to the fence that rides back under the rear Angle Rail to keep the fence from lifting at the rear when using hold downs or Some jigs that are attached to the fence.:dunno:

Hey Stu...when did you get a new saw? I hadn't heard.

:rofl:

Just not used to seeing that SS in the Dungeon yet. ;)

Honestly, neither have I :D it puts a big smile on my face each time I go down there :thumb:

Stu, with the Saw's table waxed, and using only One magnet, is the one that lays on the table to press the workpiece against the fence strong enough to keep it from sliding across the table when pressure is applied against it? Just curious.:dunno: I know the one mounted on the fence to hold the work down against the table should be fine, since that is the strongest magnetic attraction direction. Also, does your fence have any tendency to lift at the back when using that hold down? I know that some folks with Biese clones have showed an L shaped gizmo hooked to the fence that rides back under the rear Angle Rail to keep the fence from lifting at the rear when using hold downs or Some jigs that are attached to the fence.:dunno:

It seems to hold OK, but, I've only used it a bit, I might end up putting a very thin piece of rubber mat between the table and the magnet if it does slip. I've not seen the fence lift, but again, I've only started to use this saw, and the jigs :dunno:

I've always thought these featherboards were a great idea. I also think they are way over priced. I don't know why I never thought of making one myself. After seeing these I will now.

Here's a link to the little machine shop. They have the base for 5.95. I've ordered from them before and had great service.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2407&category=

Boy that is a good price, I get them for about $8 here when they are one sale.

Cheers!

How Many # Pull/Different Brands????

OK, now my curiosity is aroused. We have had several different brands (or Vendors) mentioned for the Mag Holder Devices , so I'm wondering if everyone that has bought some of these would post the Brand, and the Number of Pounds of Magnetic Pull their unit shows/advertises?

I think it would be a good source of Info all in one place for everyone's future reference, since the prices vary and apparently the Magnetic pull varies, and if everyone would also report how well they hold, then we will have better info to see what is a GOOD DEAL on each Brand/model if we need more or need to change brands/models. We may also be able to determine how much PULL is Actually NEEDED without sliding on the table, to work properly.:dunno:

I'll start it out with the HF.

HF/Cen-Tech .............. = 45 lbs Magnetic pull [seems strong/not used yet]
(I broke 2 ribs Monday & haven't been in shop):doh:

Enco ....................... = 130 lbs (as reported by Jim DeLaney)
Busy Bee .................... = ??
Little Machine Shop ...... = ??

Other Vendors/Brands:

MonotaR_________ Brand .. ...... = 180 lbs (Stu - maybe approx)
_________ Brand ......... = ??
_________ Brand ......... = ??

Last edited:
The ones I'm using are the vendor's own brand.....

mono06746747-070307-02.jpg
..... they are usually around $12 each, but go on sale for about $9 from time to time.

They are rated at (N[kgf]):800[80] which I think is about 180 lbs.

The more expensive brands are (N[kgf]):1000 which is 225 lbs, but they cost around $40, so if I need a stronger magnet, I would just buy two of the cheaper ones.

SN3D0244.jpg

I put a piece of thin white soft foam stuff under the magnet, and it made a HUGE difference, without the foam, I could push hard and slide the magnet, with the foam, I had to really lean into it to make it move. :thumb:

The ones I'm using are the vendor's own brand.....

View attachment 30429

I put a piece of thin white soft foam stuff under the magnet, and it made a HUGE difference, without the foam, I could push hard and slide the magnet, with the foam, I had to really lean into it to make it move. :thumb:

Metal to Metal may be sorta slick on it's own, and may be even more slippery due to the "wax" on the table, and the foam may grab the wax better. Good Info.:thumb:

I have a LARGE roll of foam that looks a lot like that, but it may be a little thicker, (& might not work as well), but when I get out there I'll give it a try & see if it is too thick to work or not.

Norman thanks for the suggestion of the post on the quality of the magnetic bases. I was thinking exactly what you posted when I saw the price of the little machinery base being so low.

I checked the Busy Bee site and they had no spec that I could find. Later I will go to my shop and check the one I have and see if it has any markings. This is the kind of thing that gets me about their tools.

Stu i was thinking of that spongy rubbery material that is used as an anti slip mat. when sanding. It has a grid structure to it and compresses well but has a non slip type of rubber.

Thanks for the post on these hold downs.

Norman thanks for the suggestion of the post on the quality of the magnetic bases. I was thinking exactly what you posted when I saw the price of the little machinery base being so low.

I checked the Busy Bee site and they had no spec that I could find. Later I will go to my shop and check the one I have and see if it has any markings. This is the kind of thing that gets me about their tools.

Stu i was thinking of that spongy rubbery material that is used as an anti slip mat. when sanding. It has a grid structure to it and compresses well but has a non slip type of rubber.

Thanks for the post on these hold downs.

Rob, you may have to look on the Box, or the paperwork that came with it if it was done like the ones I got from HF. There weren't any markings on the units themselves (other than brand and item #), but the # Pull was printed on the box & on the paperwork inside the box.

One of the things I want to add to the "to it" list is to find an accurate scale, (which may be the hardest part):rolleyes: and then do a little test by seeing how much weight it will lift without dropping off. If I hook it to a metal plate with a wire hanging below and then adding weights on the wire until the metal plate will no longer stay connected, I can then weigh the Plate, Wire, and added wgts. to determine the highest weight that would stay connected, and I will know the "TRUE" Magnetic Pulling Pounds. (Just to see if their Advertising claims are true, OR, have been Madison Avenue-ized).:D

Something I thought was Ironic was that when I looked at some Starret Magnetic bases, the highest Magnetic pull they showed was 80 lbs, (but the Price was sure a lot higher).:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had an idea for another possible "thin rubber" to assist against sliding "Might Be" some of that Thin rubber Grip Wrap they use on Golf Club Shafts, since it is Soft but tough AND has a kind of "Grippy" texture.

The reason I emphasize "THIN", is that "I" believe that the magnetic base would lose "SOME" of its effective Pounds of Magnetic Pull with the increase in distance from the bottom of the Magnetic Base to the metal it is attaching to. (Is this assumption correct)???:dunno::dunno:
Any Engrs. out there???

Last edited:
I was thinking that this.............

99k3401s1b.jpg

Super High Friction Tape that >> Lee Valley << among others, sell might be the ticket, I wonder how thick it is?

The sanding pads are too thick, I tried that :D

...Here's a link to the little machine shop. They have the base for 5.95. I've ordered from them before and had great service.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2407&category=

John,
I was all set to order four more of those magnetic bases from them - until they added $12.00 shipping, and $2.00 "handling" to the order. Fourteen dollars S&H on a $24.00 order? Ridiculous! By comparison, I ordered about $125.00 worth of stuff from Lee Valley yesterday, and the shipping was only $10.00. The LV stuff was way heavier, too.

BTW, Enco has them for $8.89 (item #SM625-0930) in their current sale flier, wit free shipping on orders over $50 (Use Promo Code WEBCA9).

Enco's claim to have 130# (59 Kg) of magnetic pull. Little Machine Shop doesn't say what theirs are, but they look to be pretty much the same item.

Last edited:
John,
I was all set to order four more of those magnetic bases from them - until they added $12.00 shipping, and $2.00 "handling" to the order. Fourteen dollars S&H on a $24.00 order? Ridiculous! By comparison, I ordered about $125.00 worth of stuff from Lee Valley yesterday, and the shipping was only $10.00. The LV stuff was way heavier, too.

BTW, Enco has them for $8.89 (item #SM625-0930) in their current sale flier, wit free shipping on orders over $50 (Use Promo Code WEBCA9).

Enco's claim to have 130# (59 Kg) of magnetic pull. Little Machine Shop doesn't say what theirs are, but they look to be pretty much the same item.

Jim, yea when I ordered the last time from them I caught them when they had free shipping or the shipping was really cheap for a limited time I can't remember. I ran the cost through the shopping cart and was kind of shocked at the shipping and handling cast too! Doesn't matter how good the deal if they stick it to you with the shipping does it.

I think I will order a couple from Enco.

I inquired to LMS about the rating for their mag base #2407 and received the following reply:

---------------

JB:

It's the base off of our PN 1237, so it must be about 80 kg.

Regards,
Chris Wood

LittleMachineShop.com
The premier source of parts and accessories for mini lathes and mini mills.
396 W. Washington Blvd. #500, Pasadena, CA 91103
(800)981-9663 * Fax (626)797-7934

-----------------

Since he used the word "about" and the base for #1237 looks different on their website, I believe I'll take advantage of the free shipping from Enco.

I remember seeing that and then forgot about it.

Doesn't look like the bases are on sale but at $13 a piece I still think they are a better deal. I have worked with similar bases and as you said, they don't move!