Magnetic Featherboard

Well, I went out to HF today to get two of those magnetic holders, but they were "SOLD OUT" :doh: (and they usually have a good supply all the time). They said they had MANY customers wanting them during this sale and had been sold out for over a week, but the customers have kept on coming.

Jim, I planned to check to see if the ones HF is selling now is the same strength as the one I've had for several years. (Just gotta find the original box first):D:D If they are, they should be OK, as I've used the one I have many times behind the back side of the outfeed end of the fence on some old contractors saws whose fences would shift under pressure on that end, and it has held them solidly in place even when I pushed hard against the fence to test it. I guess now I'll have to wait for the next sale to check it out.:dunno:

There's no hurry I guess, as I've been pretty well pleased using the ones on the TS from Rockler that fit in a mitre slot and expand as you tighten the knob, but I've been wanting to make a taller one that is magnetic for use on the Bandsaw that is taller for resawing. Even if they don't work for that, they're cheap enough they won't break the bank, and I'm sure I can find other uses for them anyhow.

Rob, you say that BusyBee has them, I checked their website but can't find them.....do you have their catalogue number....

Thanks

Got myself a couple of magnetic bases at Busybee in Edmonton....

Would appreciate it if someone could post a picture of this jig showing how the featherboard is attached......

Thanks

Sam,
See the pix in the first message in this thread. They show the attachment.

When I look at the 2 pics attached to your posting:

I see the pvc is attached to the magnets via the m8 bolts and the pvc is attached to the scap wood using 3 screws, but I'm unsure how the scrap wood is attached to the plastic featherboard.....when I look at the 2 pics I can't see how the featherboard is attached, I'm assuming its two screws????

Thanks
Sam

When I look at the 2 pics attached to your posting:

I see the pvc is attached to the magnets via the m8 bolts and the pvc is attached to the scap wood using 3 screws, but I'm unsure how the scrap wood is attached to the plastic featherboard.....when I look at the 2 pics I can't see how the featherboard is attached, I'm assuming its two screws????

Thanks
Sam

Yeah, just two #8-1½ screws up thru the slots in the featherboard.

Switches? :huh: I'm missing sumptin' here. Are they electro-magnetic thingys?
I used to wonder about this too, then someone explained it to me and I wondered why I never thunk it out for myself.:huh::dunno:

Two magnets placed one above the other. In the "off" position they are aligned N/S to E/W and therefore cancel each other out. Turn the switch 90 degrees and they move to N/S to N/S alignments and, bingo, they'er "on". :D

Now, I think I have that right.:huh: :rofl:

I used to wonder about this too, then someone explained it to me and I wondered why I never thunk it out for myself.:huh::dunno:

Two magnets placed one above the other. In the "off" position they are aligned N/S to E/W and therefore cancel each other out. Turn the switch 90 degrees and they move to N/S to N/S alignments and, bingo, they'er "on". :D

Now, I think I have that right.:huh: :rofl:

OK. Makes sense. Thanks. :)

OK, here is my version of the magnetic feather-board.........

View attachment 30196 View attachment 30197 View attachment 30198

Works really well :thumb:

Cheers!

Aluminum angle and a wood filler - I like it. In fact, I may use that idea for my next one.

Have you given any more thought to using those magnets to make a 'precision' fence adjuster for your saw? I thought about it, but truthfully, have never really had a problem just 'bump adjusting' the Biese clone on my Shop Fox. I find I can bump it in 1/64 ~ 1/32 increments pretty easily...

Great jig. I also thought the price of the pre-made units was nothing short of ridiculous. As soon as that patent expires - $19 i'll bet.
I've been eyeing them because i have an old shaper that has not good way to guide the stock as it passes the cutter head - the magnetics would be the answer.
thanks for the idea.
paulh

Aluminum angle and a wood filler - I like it. In fact, I may use that idea for my next one.

Have you given any more thought to using those magnets to make a 'precision' fence adjuster for your saw? I thought about it, but truthfully, have never really had a problem just 'bump adjusting' the Biese clone on my Shop Fox. I find I can bump it in 1/64 ~ 1/32 increments pretty easily...

Jim, you have a lot more experience than I do on the 1/64th bump thing, I guess I'm still hitting it too hard :D

I'll certainly be making up a precision adjuster in the future!

Great jig. I also thought the price of the pre-made units was nothing short of ridiculous. As soon as that patent expires - $19 i'll bet.
I've been eyeing them because i have an old shaper that has not good way to guide the stock as it passes the cutter head - the magnetics would be the answer.
thanks for the idea.
paulh

Yep, they work well, and I bet on your old shaper there is a LOT of cast iron the magnets can get a grip on :thumb:

I like the one I made, but I was shown a WAY better design by "Alan" (aka Panofish) at TWW >> LINK << so I copied his design...........

Mag_feather_new_two.JPG
Here you can see both feather-boards, the one on the fence and the one on the table.

mag_feather_1.JPGmag_feather_3.JPG
The one on the table is fairly basic, it adjusts by moving the magnet base around, really simple, and it works well.

mag_feather_fence_2.JPG mag_feather_fence_1.JPG
The one on the fence adjusts up and down by moving the feather board, the base stays in one spot. The one thing I did differently than Alan is to put a spacer in the set up, so I can use a sacrificial fence. Works well!

mag_feather_fence_4.JPG mag_feather_fence_5.JPG mag_feather_fence_6.JPG
Just some more pics, I really like these designs, as they use only one mag base each.

Cheers!