Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid core door project

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Solid core door project

I mentioned in another thread that I'm just setting up a new shop. It is 28'x20' with 10' ceiling. I learned from my last shop in Oregon that you need lots of light, lots of 120v and 240v outlets, and plenty of storage. Well the the lights and wiring are in, the walls and floor are painted but now it's time for storage.

I read Tom Clark's post about building inexpensive cabinets and it got the "make sawdust" juices flowing. I have is this.... I've got a 80"x32"x1 3/4" solid core door and would like to use it for the top of a storage cabinet. Question, should I build to the size of the door at least the length or make it narrow say 25-25"? I plan on putting it next to the wall but never had a bench more than 24". I do have on 96"x24"x37" work bench it is tall so I don't have to bend over too much. This bench would be to set some of my bench top tools on. Is the 32" just so much unusable space? Also would you cut down the length into smaller cabinets.

Looking for input so that I don't have to make it twice I'm thinking of it being about 28-29" tall.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Royall

PS. found out that if you paint a floor gray epoxy with those sprinkles, lot of luck finding any small items dropped on it!

PSS. I'll post photos of the shop when I figure out how to attach on this forum.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

A piece of cake Royall, see the picture:

Graphic Instruction
    Last edited by Frank Townend; 10-20-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: The picture was a "bit" large; changed it to a link.

Thanks for the heads up Frank! I'll drag the camera out to the shop and post a few.
    Aloha,

Finally got some shot of the shop. This is looking from the lanai of the house looking SW. Didn't turn out too bad for an old grease monkey You can see our first coconut tree we planted to the left. Everything you see that's not green is lava or lava covered with cinder. Biggest challenge here is keeping the jungle back!! Buy roundup type stuff in the 2.5 gallon jug. About 12 mile in the same direction is where the current lave flow is entering the ocean, quite spectacular to see!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8137 (Small).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	24840

This is looking from the entry door in the NE looking SW. You can see the door in question on the saw horses with some of the tools I've been cleaning up from storage.

Name:	IMG_8130 (Small).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	24833

Looking from the SE to NW. In the corner is a small portable scafold that is being used a storage shelf until I get some storage built. Also in that same corner is where the sheet goods are for the time being. The tall cabinet is a utility storage unit I built for a lady to keep her dive equipment in. There is no back or right end as it is to go into an existing corner of her garage. She wanted it build as cheap as possible. Used 3/4" A/C ply, 1/4" luan ply, and ripped fir 2x4's. Materials and hardware came to about 120 bucks.

Name:	IMG_8131 (Small).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	24834

Looking NE to the door

Name:	IMG_8132 (Small).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	24835

Another view looking at my "portable shelving unit"

Name:	IMG_8133 (Small).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	24836

Looking at the SE corner. You see the compressor and the workbench that is still waiting on drawers. I had the same bench in Oregon and had put in a single shelf on full extension glides for assorted small power tools. This time there will be four wide drawers on full extension glides. That is the bench drill press under the drop cloth. It is on a temp. stand with casters until I figure out where it will live. The compressor is inside only until I get 3'x8' addition on the back of the shop. Can't do that until the county comes out and signs off on the building permt. The 240v is already stubbed to the outside of the wall. Eventually the dust collector will be there with the compressor too.

Name:	IMG_8134 (Small).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	24837

Another view of the bench and computer.

Name:	IMG_8135 (Small).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	24838

This is a shot of a library card file that I scored last summer. Finally put it on a stand made of some left over materials. The thing is heavy and will do just fine for hardware and other small parts. I may put my tool chest on top at a latter time but the computer will live there for a bit. I'll add a shelf to the bottom tonight.

Name:	IMG_8136 (Small).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	24839

Sorry about the long post,

Royall
    Aloha,

Wow - talk about wide open spaces!

That's a great looking shop Royall. I can see where you might need a few "storage solutions", but having all that elbow room has got to be nice.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Warning Warning!!!

Royal is of the starting gate and heade for the finish line one thing you should look into royal is some way of keepun the dust out of your computer,, ihave mine in aseprate room and it stillget dusty ,,helps if you keep the door closed.. but maybe a plastic cover or something cuz you got everything it takes to make lots of good saw dust nice shop there royal
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up Larry. It is an older unit that I stuck out there but it has been work better lately for some reason..... I guess I'll stick a sack over it and see what mileage I get

Just finished lunch and it's 81 and a sunny day... guess it's time to make some cabinets!

Still wish I could get some input on that door
    Aloha,

in my shop royal i made a bench that was 48" wide and 96" ong and i dont regret it one bit..so i would make ithe size of the door and have a over lap to clamp against i had 6" overhang on all four sides..the framework is just 2x6's and some 4x4 legs.. look up steve ashes post on my shop thread around jan of this year2008.. i will try to find it and post link

Thanks Larry. I'll be watching for the post. I do want get things rolling here!
    Aloha,

try this for size

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...t=gonna+happen

if this doesnt get you there it was posted by steve ash and called larrys shop update i think