Solid core door project

Hi Royall

Good looking cabinets. I did the same thing with regards to material estimates. The draws take up quiet abit. What interested me initially was the fact that there seemed to be a very efficient use of material in this design. I never thought about all the material required in the draws.
Yours came out much better looking than mine. I tried to use some bits and pieces lying around my basement temp shop.

I see you also used the quality slides. I wish I had sprung for the more expensive ones. I used singles and had to shim them to get the draws to stay on the rollers. Took longer to mount the slides than making the draws. Thanks for the pictures. I will get some of mine and post as well when I am next in the shop.

Thanks for the kind words Rob. The materials are left over Chinese birch from building the kitchen cabinets for what you can see and the rest was left over A/CX I think it is called or was. :huh:It's sanded one side.

The slides were actually cheap. I had brought some with me when we moved from Oregon and the rest I bought on the internet here. I bought them from CS Hardware and even with them shipping priority mail they were cheaper than HD or any other place in Hilo.:thumb:

On another note, I'm going to build the drawers with the bottoms set into groves. I know Tom's method is plenty stout but I need the practice on regular drawer construction.:D

Larry, I'm having more fun than a man should be allowed to have.:D Got out this morning and turned 1 3/4 sheets of 1/2" ply into the sides of the 12 drawers. Had to take a time out and go into Hilo to shop for groceries and while there got a couple more sheets of 1/2" plywood. 1/2" ply here is 35 bucks and I try not to screw up too much!:doh:

This little stack is the 1 3/4 sheets of ply!
IMG_8155 (Small).jpg

What!! You don't have bananas hanging on your side lanai?:eek:
IMG_8154 (Small).jpg

great looking shop Royall.

How are the prices in the big stores as compared to when you lived on the mainland?
Id guess everything is more expensive in paradise, except for locally grown fruits and vegetables.

great looking shop Royall.

How are the prices in the big stores as compared to when you lived on the mainland?
Id guess everything is more expensive in paradise, except for locally grown fruits and vegetables.

Thanks allen, Everything is a bit spendy here. One of the things most tourist comment on is the price of milk... about 8 bucks a gallon. I complain bout the plywood prices but I think they are about the same as where I came from. That was Brookings, Oregon and there was a stud and plywood mill in the middle of town. Funny thing is I could always buy the plywood with the same name cheaper 130 miles away in Medford!:eek: Go figure:huh: I can't quote figures but hardwood is going to be the sticker. You just don't pick up deals on any of the "regular" stuff like oak, pine, alder, and so forth. It all comes in container on a ship, "ka Ching $$$" :D I bought a used Rockwell "spinny thing" (about 35 years old) and will need to lean how to use it. I can look around and find some local hard wood like ohia (o-hee-a) or guava to learn to turn with. Koa is just about as expensive here as on the mainland. I'll just have to find some local turnners and see where they get there stash from:D maybe see if they would teach me a few things so I don't hurt my shop:thumb:

Where I come from, 'nanners are yellow, not green. :rolleyes: :p And we spell 'lanai' p o r c h. :rofl:

The cabinet looks to be coming along nicely Royall. :thumb: Keep us posted as it progresses.

Gee Vaughn, I thought all bananas were green:eek: Seriously though, they cut them just as they start to "plump up and show the first stages of ripening and hang them. You just cut the ripe ones as they get yellow. This stalk for some reason just fell out of the tree before they were ready.:( Hope they ripen up as it is the first harvest of the dwarf apple banana. They are a small fruit with firm flesh and has a hint of apple in the flavor.

Well today is the day for getting caught up on updates and photos. :thumb:I got the cabinet almost done when I got started on the remodel/kitchen job.:eek: The drawers are all in and the top set in place, but that's it. Still need to add a piece of hardboard to the top and add a hardwood edging to the top. And if I ever get even more time I'll put a protective coating of some sort on it.:huh:

Thanks for looking...
IMG_8371 (Small).jpg

IMG_8372 (Small).jpg

I suspect it will be awhile, considering you also have a bathroom remodel to do after the kitchen. Might have to save this thread for next winter.:)