Thread: Edom Festival of the Arts Report

Tyler, Texas

Edom Festival of the Arts Report

Well, my first show is history and I'm greatly encouraged by the results. I had invited a turning buddy to share a booth with me (and split the $200 entry fee) and over the two day festival, we did over $2000 in business.

He had one table selling primarily wine bottle stoppers, ceiling fan pulls and pens. (the bottle stoppers went like hotcakes at $17 each, especially the first day).

I had two tables set up with bowls, hollow forms, vases, lidded boxes and even some small Hickory 'shrooms. The bowls sold the best. I think I only sold two vases and a couple of lidded boxes. The shrooms all sold at $5 each (my inexpensive items). I also had some antler and Mesquite Americana pen/pencil sets that didn't sell at all. That really surprised me.

Saturday there were tons of people there the entire day...10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Today there weren't as many folks but still a good crowd for the 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. show period. I did about half as much business today as Saturday.

The weather could not have been better with sunshine, a low of 50 deg. and a high around 75 deg. with low humidity. I took down a bunch of notes for things to do differently/better at future shows and really had a great time as the wife went with me. She enjoyed the experience immensely.

Best of all, she didn't bat an eye when I started talking about upgrading my lathe this spring (to a PM 3520B). She was more impressed with the take than I was...and I was pretty happy.

Now, I've got to start replenishing my inventory. I swapped a couple of bowls, an antler pen/pencil set and a hollow form to a friend of the wife's who promised me some wood in return. The friend called a few minutes ago and they already have me a large Cherry burl waiting for me to pick up.

Life is extremely good!

Okay, Okay, here's some pics. LOL

L-R, me, my wife and my friend "Boodrow" at early set-up
    Me and Boodrow with our wares
    Me, looking glum for some reason...probably because of the pic
    Boodrow with a couple of patrons in the background
    A ~30" diameter Pecan tree near our booth that had a burled trunk. I told the show promoter that if it ever died or blew over to call me...I wanted it!
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 10-20-2008 at 02:22 AM.

Buse Township MN
    That is great to hear Cody!!! CONGRATS

Got any pics of your set-up??????????????
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Goodland, Kansas
    Congrats Cody on a great weekend. Sounds like a PM is in your future.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tokyo Japan
    Cody good to hear that some people somewhere in your fine country still appreciate handmade quality work

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    Congrats, Cody! I had a suspicion you'd do well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Reno, Nv
    Congrats Cody!! Judging by the stuff you post here, there was never any doubt. Keep those spirits up and get turnin'
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Delton, Michigan

must be some of the oil profits!

are filtering back your way cody! glad you done so well...many many years agao i had booth for leather craft and the littel stuff soldlike hotcakes i stayed after the closing on both days just to take care of the back orders..the beter half was sellun then faster than i could make them. good luck on your next adventure
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

DSM, IA
    Congrats Cody! Looks like you had a great time, made some $$ and you were able to take the success and snowball it into an nod for a PM from the "boss"....yeah that sounds like a good day.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Constantine, MI
    Hey Cody, You Rock! Nice take for the time invested. Maybe you could take some of Vaughn's work on consignment since the people coming to his shows seem a little less, um, generous.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

Congrats, Cody! Given the quality of your work, I'm not in the least bit surprised that you did well.