Thousand Oaks Arts and Crafts Street Fair

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
We did a one-day show in Thousand Oaks today, about 45 miles west of our place. Great weather, big show, tons of people, but relatively slow sales. Sold a little over $300 worth, but I about doubled my entry fee, so I don't feel too bad. This was definitely more of a street fair than an art show, so there weren't as many people shopping for $100+ items as at some shows we've done. Nonetheless, we had a fun time, I got a boatload of compliments on my work, and we made more money than if we'd been sitting at home. Here are a few obligatory pics...

The booth:

Thousand Oaks Fall 2008 - 02 800.jpg

The crowd:

Thousand Oaks Fall 2008 - 01 800.jpg Thousand Oaks Fall 2008 - 04 800.jpg

And here's a pic of my most commented-on display. This bowl is not for sale (I tell people it's because LOML put her dibs on it), but I bring it to every show with a series of photos showing the progress from root ball to bowl. The display never fails to get a lot of amazed looks, and I could have sold this bowl a dozen times in the last year. (The other reason it's not for sale is that I messed up the bottom, tried to patch the mistake and made it worse, so I stopped before I ruined it completely. Even though this piece gets tons of positive feedback, and it looks great until you turn it over and look at the bottom, it doesn't meet my standards for something I'd want to sell with my name on it.)

Thousand Oaks Fall 2008 - 03 800.jpg

Well Vaughn, my compliments for that, it seems that you're slowly but steadily self financing your hobby which I think is great.!:thumb:

Just a question: 150$ for the booth fee is an average price for those kind of shows in US?

...Just a question: 150$ for the booth fee is an average price for those kind of shows in US?
That's about the average I've seen around here. I've been paying $280+ for two-day shows and about $150 to $175 for most of the one-day shows. (Although I've paid $280 for a one-day show a couple times, too.) The prices vary around the country, and they even vary in a large area like Los Angeles.

I haven't done any shows like this yet, but some of them have a low entry fee and they collect a flat percentage (usually around 15%) as a commission. I'm considering doing an indoor show at Descanso Gardens in December for $60 plus 15%. That ends up being a pretty low-risk day as long as the show has a decent-sized crowd. On the other end of the scale, there's another indoor show at the Rose Bowl (less than 4 miles away) that's $350 for a single day. I don't think I'll do that one.

Very Nice

Many beautiful items on your table but the sign on the left end of the table WOW!

I am surprised that sign did not sell for over $500 by itself.

OK - back to reality - Beautiful set up and art work. Yes you do have the right attitude about Art/Craft Shows. My wife and I will be doing 4 or 5 shows in the next 5 weeks. Sometimes things sell, sometimes not so much but everytime we meet a lot of nice people and have an entertaining day.
You never know who is walking up to your table and looking at the items you made but a few of the people we met at the shows (and maybe bought little or nothing on show day ) have become some of my best customers.

Thanks for the report, Vaughn. You certainly weren't kidding about "tons of people" were you. That's a large crowd, even channeled into a narrow walkway like that.

Your booth display is absolutely perfect, as is your work. Very artsy and really some fine pieces.

I hope you don't mind if I steal that picture display idea. I had so many people ask me how I turned NE bowls that I'd like to do a pictoral and place it with the pieces.

I really enjoyed my first experience and can hardly wait to do another one. LOML and I both had a great time and meeting all the neat people was the best part. It certainly beat sitting at home watching the Dallas Cowboys get embarrassed again. :eek:

...I hope you don't mind if I steal that picture display idea. I had so many people ask me how I turned NE bowls that I'd like to do a pictoral and place it with the pieces...
I won't mind at all...I can relate to the questions you can get about NE bowls. I found two picture frames on sale at Michael's, added a piano hinge, and I was in business.

Great display Vaughn, I really like the photo journal of the bowl process.
I also like the paper clip 'box'; is the magnetic ring purchased or fabricated by you?

Attachments

• paperclip.jpg
    paperclip.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 8
Congrats on the fair and very nice setup Vaughn. Some of these shows entry fees are getting pretty pricey especially with slow sales. I also would like to know about the magnet around the top edge of the clip holder.

The magnets are from Craft Supplies USA. They have two kinds, the regular and the deluxe. The regulars are $1 each, but too small and weak to be practical, in my opinion. The deluxe ones are about $6, but they work very well. I sell the paper clip holders for $35 to $40.