New Laundry Room - In Progress

Yann Arbour

Hi all,

Over the past months I have been busy making a laundry room in our house, unfortunatly I have not taken that many pictures, but I do have pics of me putting in the ceramic tiles.

It's roughly 6' by 8'. Two walls were built in place, one with two outlets for the kitchen, the other with a switch an a thermostat for the baseboard heater.

The wiring for the dryer was rerouted from it's previous location (It's now closer to the breaker panel, so I didn't need to rewire the whole thing, yea).

I am currently building the cabinets that will go in place soon I hope, with more pictures for you.

Tiles 1.jpg

This one, I was starting the dry fit

Tiles 2.jpg

Here the dry fit before I needed to start cutting tiles

Tiles 4.jpg
Midway through the cutting of the tiles

Tiles 3.jpg

Here the dry fit was complete, it was 12:30 am by the time i was done this part, but IMHO it was well worth it.

Tiles 5.jpg

The tiles here have been cemented, I was so glad I waited until the next morning to do this 'cause I ran out of cement and had to go to the store to get some more.

The left corner is where the counter will go the right will be a built-in hamper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Yann those tiles look great, you have done a great job :thumb:

I'm sure it will be an improvement.

Cheers! :wave:

(BTW, I fixed a busted picture link in you post)

That's gonna look nice when it's done. Thanks for the pics, but you know we'll be wanting more of them as things progress. :p

Larry it's definatly the base for my cabinet but it's not fastened in place.

Cabinet 1.jpg

As it stood earlier this evening.

Cabinet 2.jpg

Tonight I installed the back plate and the shelf, mostly brads and carpenter's glue, for the shelf I used brass "L" brackets. While not particularily "chique"... they work :eek:

It's coming along nicely, next step will be the edge banding.

A small update

Today, I started to cut my strips of wood to length on my miter saw but I realized that my saw's gap was too wide and did not provide enough support to cut the thin strips of wood.

Edge Mitre 1.JPG

As you can see, when I bring down the blade the wood has a tendency to lift. An accident waiting to happen...

Edge Mitre 2.JPG
Edge Mitre 3.JPG

So using my 48" level as a guide I lifted my roller on my MSUV to match the height of a 3/4" piece of scrap MDF.

Edge Mitre 4.JPG

I then adjusted my cut depth so as not to go through the piece of MDF.

Edge Mitre 5.JPG

A test cut shows that my saw cuts a bit too deep, another adjustment to the cut depth and presto

Edge Mitre 6.JPG

Now I can cut my strips with less worry of tear out.