Saw Log, how would you have it cut?

havnt got project in mind ,, possible bench perhaps or just cbs or furniture but i am curious as the normal thought pattern of a log and sawyer combo here.. i have some 4/4 gtr but its pretty narrow stuff.6 " tops this would make some wider planks easily.. but on the same token do you go thin or thick? if this was to be just cut and dryed for resale by joe sawyer what would his recommendations be?

The width that I saw almost always comes on a request from the customer. If they don't know what they want, then I try to take 4/4 from the quarters and some 8/4 from the faces and keep the boards as wide as is economically possible given the size of the log. I think that very few sawyers try to do a lot of quartering as it is labour intensive, but because I charge by the hour I can take the time. The reason I take the sizes that I do is that I see a fair bit of quarter grain in furniture parts other than legs, and these mostly seem to be 4/4 or less. If someone wants the appearance of quartered grain on larger pieces like legs etc, they can always laminate and then mill to size.

32" by 10' and clear to boot is one really nice log Larry. Good luck with it. I have about 1000' of 4/4 white ash cut for myself so far this year, but the largest log I've cut so far is about 20" on the small end. Unfortunately when we opened it up it wasn't all clear.... Still, I got several nice clear boards about 9" wide and quartered with nice straight grain.

cheers eh?

John

hey john i just went and looked at this thing and its begger it closer to 36" and apperar to be clear as bell,, i haver seen flt sawn ash but cant say as i have seen gtrd ash,, whats the cell struture like red oak or white oak? or completly differnt..got a pic or resource where i can see some..this thing is the trunk section then it went all direction up and out kinda like the family tree look:) got nice cherry in this group to just around 20" but might have some charters had few limbs which might make for nice flat sawn stuff,, also how is it for dryun do i have to be careful of it to keep it white????

Quartersawn if possible. Depending on the tree, my yard has some riftsawn ash that is very nice looking too. Flatsawn, it looks a lot like oak to most folks.

If your Sawyer is good 4/4 for that which will become 3/4" (table tops and such), 5/4 if he's not-so-good. I like to have some 5/4 for 1" - 1-1/8" stock for thicker tops. Some 8/4 & 12/4 for table legs and such.

Ash edge-joins and laminates well so building stock back up is not a big problem especially if the figure is close matched as your's should be. This should be fun. I am green with envy.

hey glen you got pic of gtr sawn ash i havnt seen any that i can remeber,went to hearn hardwoods site and saw some there,,basically its just straight grained huh.. i have some flat sawn alredy and know what that looks like and how it works up.. i like it.. but this was just to good to pass up..not sure where i am gonna put it but i got it:)

Last edited:
Larry,

Sorry, no pics on file here, but I've got lots of stock out in the cargo containers (my storage bins), so I'll snap a couple of pic's next time I'm out there - should be this week. You're correct though, it's basically a straight grained wood on the quarters. Glenn is also correct, on the flat it looks like Oak or Butternut. I have no knowledge of the cell structure. I understand that Red Oak is a hollow celled wood and will absorb water like a straw whereas White Oak is a closed cell structure. How that works I don't know...sorry. As far as keeping it white, I've found that getting it under cover very quickly keeps it from darkening in the UV. It goes grey very quickly sitting out in the sun.

cheers eh?

John

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on ash. Its a great species for outdoor furniture and it tools similar to white oak.(white oak is just untouchable these days, ash is a bit more reasonable)

just sealed the deal~

i got the ash and a 20 ft cherry that is around 16" at the short end..according to the calculators i sould reap around 400bf on the ash and another100 on the cherry:)500 ft of flat stuff fer $125.oo so now to get it cut and stickered and outa the sun and dried ,the ash ,dont want no bugs,,,,,the cherry isnt as touchy.

I DONT KNOW !!!!

but i couldnt say no,, i quess i will sell some of the other to make room for this???? when it comes time to cut it i will get in touch you gota see this one

i got the ash and a 20 ft cherry that is around 16" at the short end..according to the calculators i sould reap around 400bf on the ash and another100 on the cherry:)...............

Larry,

If your logs are straight and your sawyer is halfway decent you should see 500+ from the Ash and 200+ from the Cherry. A band sawyer wastes a lot less in the kerf (you already know that I think) and you can always mill the slabs into narrow boards. I've taken some nice stuff out of slabs that other people would use for firewood....

cheers eh?

John

hey glen you got pic of gtr sawn ash i havnt seen any that i can remeber

Yeah, pretty straight. Similar to QSWO but different if that makes any sense. These were from mostly riftsawn lumber that I milled quartersawn parts out of. The real QS boards I ripped and veneered to creat four QS faces as you have seen others do here.

Attachments

• NS-Real-Build-QSash-003.jpg
    NS-Real-Build-QSash-003.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 32
  • NS-Real-Build-QSash-004.jpg
    NS-Real-Build-QSash-004.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 31
Larry,

If your logs are straight and your sawyer is halfway decent you should see 500+ from the Ash and 200+ from the Cherry. A band sawyer wastes a lot less in the kerf (you already know that I think) and you can always mill the slabs into narrow boards. I've taken some nice stuff out of slabs that other people would use for firewood....

cheers eh?

John

i was being conservative john:) the one i use now is very good,, have had others that wernt so i knw the differnce.. if you dont have your speed and tension right you can easily go from 4/4 to 6/4 or even 8/4 i a single board...:eek: makes for some lengty planning,,you mentione the slabes being usuful are talking the slab wood on the first cut or are you talking about thick cuts on the log????