two More pens

Ned Bulken

mahagonyslim.jpg

Not so happy with that slimline, but it was a learning pen... Mahagony with a gold slimline kit.

I moved on from that one to this...
rosewoodpearl1.jpg

rosewoodpearl2.jpg

East indian rosewood and a Pearl slimline kit.

I gave the rosewood pen away tonight at Lodge, as a door prize for the 'wildest tie' worn.

Nice looking pens Ned!

Not sure what you don't like about them, but I understand that sometimes the turner can see flaws others don't.

I've made a lot of 'learning pens'.

One thing I've done is to buy a 'transfer punch' set from Harbor freight. It makes disassembling pens a snap. I've also bought extra 'tubes' for the pen kits I make. Especially for kits I'm not that familiar with. It makes it easy to experiment without sacrificing the more expensive pen hardware.

As a matter of fact, I've got one on my desk right now that is bugging me, and I have a feeling it's going to find it's way out the the shop to be recycled tomorrow....

Hi Ned... Each pen, each kind of wood, each type of kit brings it own set of circumstances to learn and deal with. I found the east indian rosewood really easy to cut, drill and turn but it never seemed to sand down to a really nice smooth texture. Not that it's always what the turner wants. Keep experimenting and learning and trying and above all enjoying!!! Keep up the good work. :thumb:

If you want to go down the dark side of frustration, you can always try the 'Super Glue' finish.

I've got it down to the point where I usually only have to redo each pen twice to get the finish I like.... :rolleyes:

When they turn out good, I really like the depth that it gives a pen.

But you do tend to get your fingers awfully coated in glue at times...:rofl:

So Far, So Good

Good work overall Ned.:thumb: You'll get better with practice. As long as you don't see brass and the pen writes then you were successful. We really are our own worst critics:D