new member from TX

Hello everyone. My name is Michael and I am from Texas. I am currently a cabinet shop supervisor of a 4 man shop that builds casework for a school district. We build all of the casework for our new schools and also for renovations and additions. The biggest drawback of my job is that I never get to work with "real" wood. 95% of all of our work is laminate. I am hoping to someday be able to build myself a small shop at my house for doing small projects. I picked up this forum off of another forum I visit and thought I would check it out. From what I have seen so far it looks like you can pick up a lot of useful information from some great wood workers. Hopefully I will be able to contribute here too. Thanks for looking.

Welcome Michael. Glad to have you. You can contribute right away with an answer to this . . . Does your shop use metric for your casework? there you go, we already owe you ;-)

Welcome Michael. Glad to have you. You can contribute right away with an answer to this . . . Does your shop use metric for your casework? there you go, we already owe you ;-)

I try not to.:) It does seem that as time has gone by everything is going that way. A lot of the hardware we use is metric but I don't intentionally go that way. We are not set up on the 32mm system for our hinges and drawer guides although most of our hardware is set up for it. We do have a double head line boring machine that does drill that way I just have never took the time to set everything up that way. I learned in a small shop and have just stuck with those "old ways." We still cut all of our parts out on a Powermatic table saw (no CNC), we assemble all of our cabinets with nails and screws and so on. I would say we are some where between a custom shop and a production shop. Eventually I think we will all be using the metric system in our work just to comply with the rest of the world. I am not totally against it, just not totally familiar with it. Hope that all makes sense.

Welcome to the familt Michael. Sorry about the Stars. You are lucky I live in Maple Leaf territory and now support the Habs after having been a leaf supporter for a nuimber of years. No Stanley Cup will becoming to Toronto for many years. I will stick to woodworking in my spare time. Besides hockey tickets cost the price of tools here...that is if you can get them.:D

Your Habs are looking pretty good so far this season. I am watching my Stars who are currently down 3-0 to NJ (14:10, 3rd period). Turco seems to have lost it (but he isn't getting much help in front of the net). You can get tickets here for around $35 if you sit up top. Luckily though one of my sales reps is a big hockey fan and season ticket holder and he always gives me a call when he can't make a game :). I'm sure hockey tickets are hard to come by in Canada though.