A few questions of jaw selection

Alan Trout

I have a few question on jaw selection. I got my new Nova DVR XP last week (Gloat).:) I also picked up a SN2 chuck at the same time. I have been using my G3 on my mini with the standard jaws for some time and do find myself wanting others jaws from time to time. I was wondering what ya'lls opinion on other jaws would be nice (versatile) for my SN2 now that I have an increased capacity lathe. Should I get some spigot jaws, or pin jaws, or maybe their 3" bowl jaws, power grip, etc. Just looking for suggestions. Jaws are expensive and really don't want to spend money on jaws I won't use. Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks,

Alan

Congrats on the new lathe, Alan! :thumb:

I've got both chucks you mentioned, and I find I use the 50mm jaws and the Powergrip jaws the most. I've also got the 25mm small bowl jaws and the bigger 100mm (or maybe the 130mm, I don't recall for certain), too.

I use smallest that will work for a given project but do favor the long nosed ones. I seem to leave the spigot jaws on because they are versitile and handy for a lot of small, quick project. Congrats on the lathe and chucks. Enjoy.

I cheated ... i made up my own set of Cole jaws and will also make up my own jaws for other turnings when I find that a given size would be used frequently. Cheapness won on that one. :D

I guess I'm the wrong person to answer this, you see I have 6 chucks. The reason I have 6 chucks is because I hate changing jaws.

3 chucks are SN2s with 50mm (#2) jaws. With some of the boxes I make there have been times I needed all three.

1 chuck has the 25mm (#1) jaws
1 chuck has the 100mm (#3) jaws

The last chuck I use I swap out different jaws, some of which is a cole jaws, long nose jaws or some home made fixtures.

Depending on what you plan on turning, I would suggest the #1 and #2 for starters. After that I purchased jaws when I felt they would be handy for a particular type of turning I was interested in. The jaws I use the least (but do come in handy once in a while) is the cole jaws and the #3 jaws.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your opinions. This is the kind of information that I am looking for. Of course being I have increase capacity I am looking to do some larger stuff including larger bowls, and hollow forms. I tend to agree with Frank that I like to use the smallest jaws that I can use safely for that particular project. This has been one of my wants with my G3 on my mini. With the size of the typical work on a 10" swing lathe I have wanted some smaller jaws than the standard provided.

I am leaning towards getting a set of spigot jaws for my next set. and then maybe a set of the 35mm jaws for some of the smaller work.

Again thanks and if there are any other opinions please feel free to give them.

Alan