Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12345

Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 05-03-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    The pic of the SS is just for Larry to prove it happened
    Larry will never know. His eyes are way too old to see pictures that small!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Let's try these...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 005.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	24938 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 006.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	24939 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 007.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	24940 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 008.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	24941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	24942 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 010.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	24943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools 011.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	24944
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn I was wondering whether there was something wrong with my eyes or computer.. Now I can see the pictures Chuck.

Chuck just out of curiosity what is it that you are sanding with these sanders. I looked up your website and saw the trunks but cannot figure out where the extensive sanding is coming in?
    cheers

Chuck
    I had a machine shop turn me a drive wheel out of aluminum and it worked pretty good. The best 1 x 42 sander I have used was the old Delta that had the back arm that came straight up the another arm straight out and had a spring inside of it. I bought one from Grizzly and it works as good and the Delta I had just does not have the bearings in the pulleys will try to get the model # tomorrow afternoon and maybe a picture of it.

Also one trick to making the sander you have work a lot better is to cut the backup plate down to 3/4" wide and then when you put a new belt on use an old bit and touch the edges of the belt to knock the sharp edge off of it then you can even do inside radius like champ. It was a trick that was taught to me by a guy that ran about eight of them to sand pine parts for his line of lamps.

Back when I started my woodworking business I lived in front of one of these thing 8 to 10 hrs a day.

Jay

THANKS Vaughn. I thought we were all going to have to chip in and buy Chuck a "BIGGER CAMERA", 'cause his only takes Thumbnail Pictures, and my OLD eyes couldn't make much out of 'em. As useful as those little 1" belt sanders are, I just can't figure out why someone doesn't make and sell one similar to the Delta design that is made out of good metal with good metal and rubber wheels with bearings. I remember the older Delta that was larger and much better built than these Plastic toys they sell now and have wanted one for a long time but just can't seem to pull the trigger on these new plastic toys. That Kalamazoo model looks well built, but not a very versatile design. (good motor though).

Jay, is that Grizzly model built on a more solid framework? Maybe that would fit the bill and only have to rework the wheels.

kalamazoo machine's are good quality machines, and i have no affliation other than, i used to do the printing for them and our company has one like chucks..2" model.. as for the disk sander i have no expeiernce with those.. sorry that the machne didnt live up to your expectations. send it to me and i will take it of your hands.. scrap price should be a fair trade
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have the Grizzly G1013 which now seems to be discontinued. It was sold under many brand names. I have had this for about 20 years and it may be the first Grizzly tool I ever purchased. I removed the platen from behind the belt to allow sanding of contours. The narrow belt is not as versatile as I had hoped and care must be taken to avoid the edges of the belt from cutting into whatever is being sanded. It is extremely noisy and I must use hearing protection when it is on. I use the disk for many tasks including rough squaring of pen blanks. The belt is also used for some sharpening tasks. Despite it's limitations, I find that it is one of my most frequently used 'go to' tools in the shop on an almost daily basis. I think I originally paid about $50.00 for it. Considering the amount of use I get from it and it's longevity, I have no complaints. But, one must keep in mind that a 1" belt has definite limitations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sander.jpg  

Norman
    The sander I am talking about is the one that Frank posted a picture of. It is built the same as the old Delta its just missing the bearings in the wheels and yes Frank is right about them being noisy.

My first one of these was a Buffalo brand and I ran it everyday for about 5 years until the motor burned up and I do mean burned up, fire went right up the wall

Jet also made these and the Friend mentioned above had a bunch of them.

Frank the key to making this sander do almost anything you want it to do is in trimming the backer plate to 3/4" wide and using something to knock that sharp edge off of the sanding belts and keep the piece moving in a nice smooth motion. I never found anything I couldn't sand with it and do better than a drum except inside of a closed part.

I would check with Grizzly and see if they still have that model that Frank listed they are not in the Catalog but they were still selling them in the Springfield Mo store just a few weeks ago thats why I bought one when I see it. I can alway install bearing in the wheels when the cheap bushing go bad but that will be a ways down the road as I just keep buying better ear protectors
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Norman
    The sander I am talking about is the one that Frank posted a picture of. It is built the same as the old Delta its just missing the bearings in the wheels and yes Frank is right about them being noisy.

My first one of these was a Buffalo brand and I ran it everyday for about 5 years until the motor burned up and I do mean burned up, fire went right up the wall

Jet also made these and the Friend mentioned above had a bunch of them.

Frank the key to making this sander do almost anything you want it to do is in trimming the backer plate to 3/4" wide and using something to knock that sharp edge off of the sanding belts and keep the piece moving in a nice smooth motion. I never found anything I couldn't sand with it and do better than a drum except inside of a closed part.

I would check with Grizzly and see if they still have that model that Frank listed they are not in the Catalog but they were still selling them in the Springfield Mo store just a few weeks ago thats why I bought one when I see it. I can alway install bearing in the wheels when the cheap bushing go bad but that will be a ways down the road as I just keep buying better ear protectors
    Jay
    Thanks for that info Jay. I'll check it out w/Grizzly. (maybe they're coming out with a new model)