Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Little Extra Cash = Tools, Jig Hardware

A Little Extra Cash = Tools, Jig Hardware

I have a about $200 extra in cash that I have been saving. A company trip next week to the Fox Valley in Wisconsin is a good opportunity to spend a little cash. I found a few interesting tools on Craigs list and a shop that sells used tools.

A few thngs on my list:
    -Ridgid Spindle/Belt Sander - Used - $130
    -Quick Release Front Vise - Economy from Woodcraft - $86
    -T-Track and hardware for jigs and a drill press table
    -Bench Dogs

I am in the process of building a workbench, so I have a lot of interest in the vise and the t-track hardware.

Does anyone know if a Kreg Klamp will fit in a t-track instead of buying the more expensive Kreg track?

I know I cant buy everything listed for the $200, but I am brain storming and will prioritize from here.

Still thinking about a cordless circular saw for sheet goods, but I probably have more useful things on the list to buy ahead of this saw.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Rich
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 10-23-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Added Cordless Circular Saw
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

If the Kreg track is the same one they use for their bandsaw fence, then yeah, a 'regular' T-track will work. The bandsaw fence extrusion accepts all the " bolt heads (7/16 wrench size) accessories I have for my DP table, Router table, etc.

Most of the T-track stuff I have is from Hartville Hardware, but it all seems pretty much interchangeable.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Jim's got you covered on the t-track question. A cordless circ saw that is worth owning will blow your whole budget by 30%. With your bench on the horizon I would place priority on a vise. I make my own dogs (round).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-23-2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have the Ridgid sander, but I'd say a bench hardware and vise would be a higher priority in most shops. I've stocked up on t-track several times by catching one of the periodic Rockler sales where they have 4' of track and an assortment of hardware for half price. Like right now. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=t%2Dtrack
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hey Rich,
    What size vice are you looking for.
    I have a pretty good size vise upstairs that I have not used that I may consider selling. It's an oldie but a goodie.
    Garry in Engadine
    Last edited by Garry Smith; 10-24-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Rich,
    not sure what sort of bench you're going to build, but go a google for 'fww newfangled bench', might save you some cash...

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=10860

there's my lonely thread about the bench I want to build... it uses pipe clamps instead of a more expensive tail vise, etc...
    -Ned

Garry,

I am interested in your vise. Can you send me a picture or the make and model? My e-mail is richardaldrich@centurytel.net

I have been looking at a front vise something like the large one from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...659,41661&ap=1

Also, I have been looking at one like this

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Quic...se-9-Jaw/G9851

I think the two types would cover most of my needs, especially since I am used to not having a vise.
    Rich (the Yooper)

I agree with all of you about concentrating on the work bench and jig hardware. I have a lot of maple that had cut three in Oct 2006. The bench that I am making is in Issue 166 Nov 2005 Wood Magazine. You can see a picture of it on http://www.woodstore.net/trwo.html.

For the top, I had some of the wood cut 1 3/4 x 3 1/8. It is finishing to 1 1/2 x 2 5/8. To make sure it is straight and without twists, I am having to cut most of the pieces 3 to 4 ft long, so there are a number of butt joints in the top which I am staggering the joints. The bench is going to be 76" long.
    Rich (the Yooper)

Rich,

I bought the larger of the two vises from Lee Valley and am very pleased with it. I bought the largest, thickest maple butcher block cutting board I could find at TJMax and, after cutting it in half, used it as my jaws.

Last edited by Frank Townend; 10-26-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Frank,

Looks like a nice set up. I have been considering this vise for one of the two that I want to put on my bench. I am considering buying a bench screw for the end of the bench and building a tail vise. With the dogs, I could use it to hold jigs when in use or whatever big stuff needs to be held. With the front vise set up like you have, it gives a little more versatility because it works as a vise and with the bench dogs, it works like a tail vise.
    Rich (the Yooper)