Please help my aging memory.

Daniel West

Please help my aging memory. Around 35 years ago (early to mid ‘70’s) I made various items for gifts out of Borg pine. I finished them with a product that stained the wood to a dark walnut color and put a finish on it all at one time.

Here is where the memory problem comes in. I don’t remember if it did it in one coat or if it took 2 or 3, but the BIGGEST problem is that I can’t remember what the name of the product was or who made it. I tried staining some pine lately with various products, but in every case ended up with a lot of blotching. That is why I am trying to remember what I used way back when, because it did NOT blotch, but had a uniform color.

It may not even be made anymore, but if anyone has any ideas about what it might have been, please reply. This is driving me nuts

I dunno if it's what your looking for but I have a can of MINWAX Polyshades. It's a stain & polyurethane in 1 step. It was bought 2 years ago from a local store and used on MDF gave a nice finish too.

Does sound like Polyshades, Not sure if it was there in the 70s but with each coat you get darker .

I never considered Watco or any other Danish oil to be a "Finish" (I know this is controversial to some thinking and not the subject of this post) and as a rule it did not come colored (as I remember) Seems to me DEFT had some products back then that had color in the finish.

I use PolyShades from Minwax as a quick finish that I need to do some matching, Must buy the tone you want and keep applying layers till the depth you want is there.

Bill
I don't believe Polyshade came out until the mid to late 80s that I'm aware of and yes Watco and Deft Danish oil did have stains in it and was used as a finish. It was used by a lot of crafter's in the 70s and 80s and also by trim carpenters and finishers and it burned a lot of work in progress houses down also with the ones that did not dispose of there finish rag properly.

Jay