American Doll (Canopy Bed)

Jon Lanier

Oh no! It's not turned.... It's.... (gulp) Flat work!

I was asked if I could made a couple beds for an American Doll. And I first thought, whoa, my wife wants a new bed..... and then I found out it is a special doll little girls play with. They just wanted the frame and they are going to paint it and decorate it... make the bed and bedding etc.

Here is 2 of 4 to be made... once it got out I was making one.... it turned into 4 beds. They are 21 in. long, 19 in. high, and 15 in. wide.

americandoll3vt6.jpg

americandoll2kp9.jpg

americandoll1ga9.jpg

so did you use mortise and tenons on the joints for the aprons? or just some good glue?

Mortise and tenons.... :rofl:

If this was to be made of Oak or something I'd give much more attention to them. As it is these were glued and I used my pin gun.

I actually have plans for something like this that has Victorian scroll saw work that is all over the piece. But since they just wanted a basic frame. If I ever have a grand daughter.... I'm sure all bells and whistles will come out.

I really think its a great project, its a great gift idea, doesnt seem like alot of wood, tacking together, great stuff, thanx for the idea and sharing pics.

how come you nailed the canopy support on the second picture inside the bed posts and not on the outside?

Mortise and tenons.... :rofl:

If this was to be made of Oak or something I'd give much more attention to them. As it is these were glued and I used my pin gun.

I actually have plans for something like this that has Victorian scroll saw work that is all over the piece. But since they just wanted a basic frame. If I ever have a grand daughter.... I'm sure all bells and whistles will come out.

not nessacarily,,,,i was told that my daughter didnt want anything for the youngun???? so maybe you are out of the woods jon

Those should go over very well, Jon. :thumb:
Shhhhhhhhhh you weren't suppose to notice that. :dunno: My wife said that she'll keep that one and dress it up for a sale somewhere along the line.
Just double them up...add an outer support on one end, and an inner support on the other, and say you planned it that way all along. ;)

Great project Jon. You've inspired me to make one for my daughter -- she absolutely loves her American Girl doll (and at $100+ she should! :eek:).