Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Do This!

ABQ NM

Don't Do This!

Here's proof that not everyone on YouTube knows what they're doing. This guy shows several classic examples of what not to do when turning.

Aside from the fact that he's running at stupidly high speeds for roughing, he doesn't seem to know much about how to use his "straightener out" tool or his "rounder" tool. At about 5:20 into the video, he's using the wrong side of the sandpaper. He could also use a few tips on parting something off at the end. I'd be willing to be he's not wearing any face protection (based on the way his voice sounds). This guy's a real piece of work.

On the plus side, he has a good chance of pulling a Darwin and removing himself from the gene pool.

And if by chance, "Dunkin717" is a member here, sorry for being harsh, but dude, get some lessons. And quit posting dangerous techniques on the Intarweb.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tyler, Texas
    Thanks for posting that Vaughn, I needed a good laugh tonight.

Schenectady, NY

I guess any nutjob with a lathe and a video camera can pretend to be a turner. That is just frightening.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Goodland, Kansas
    Vaughn thanks for posting. Like Cody I just had to laugh. A box of rocks has more sense than that. That guy has more guts than I have using a saw for a parting tool. Using his straighter tool and rounder tool at 3900 rpm. I have to agree he definitely needs some lessons in turning. I did not see any safety equipment at all and was waiting for the ball bat to bean him. Yep he is in line for a Darwin award.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Harvey, Michigan
    Vaughn - I figure he named the video 'Working on the Lathe' because Dumb & Dumber was already taken! Amazing what some folks can do - and live to talk about it! I agree with your suggestion that this 'turner' needs to remove that video ASAP and can only hope that those who view it understand the danger this guy is placing himself in!

Amazing, just amazing.

Stow, OH

I doubt this "turner" would remove this video. He was getting over 5400 views as of now.
    This Nick Cook woodturning video has 2000 less in viewer count.

Reno NV

I know I'm not an expert at turning, but at least I know how to ride the bevel with My "Rounders" and to not use my 'Straightener Outerer' as a scraper!

I watched the whole thing, completely dumbfounded!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

That's some serious scary stuff! Every cut he made was a scrape cut and the parting off at 3900 with a saw with the lathe running was, well, not vey smart.

Tokyo Japan
    I've seen that one before, it is amazing how many things he does wrong, almost an online manual of how NOT to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I guess any nutjob with a lathe and a video camera can pretend to be a turner.
    Hey........ I resemble that remark
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thomasville, GA
    After getting a chuckle from the video, I flagged it as "Inappropriate" due to "Harmful or Dangerous Acts". I don't know if that will help get rid of it, but at least I tried.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.