Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Likes Sushi......

Who Likes Sushi......

I know, some people turn their noses up at "Uncooked Fish" but I happen to like it, but mostly the Tuna, I don't go in for the squid, octopus or fish eggs stuff, I like the real red meat, the Tuna!

As I live in Japan, I do like Sushi, in fact I enjoyed it when I lived in Vancouver before I came here. Now if you like Sushi, do you like Sashimi?

Sashimi is the fish, without the rice. If it is "Good" Sashimi, I like it better than Sushi.

Tonight one of my neighbours dropped in, he works at >> Tsukiji << the fish market in Tokyo. He has been educating me on the various kinds of Tuna.

Tonight he dropped off some chunks of Tuna, two chunks of "Chu-Toro" and one chunk of "Akami" total of 650 grams (just under 1 1/2 pounds!) I'd bet retail it would be close to $80

Here are the three chunks, frozen solid........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuna1.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	25007 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuna2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	25008 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuna3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	25009

And this is what they should look like all ready to eat.....

Name:	akami.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	25005
    Akami (red meat tuna)

Name:	chu-toro.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	25006
    Chu-Toro (Medium Fat Tuna)

The very best cut comes from the belly of the tuna, this is called Toro, and the very best Toro is the -Toro, it is unreal, so nice, it just about melts in your mouth. The Chu-Toro also from the belly, but not the very bottom of the belly, still, it is VERY good.

This will be part of Sunday dinner for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

GOOD sushi is probably my favorite thing to eat. However, I can't stand the stuff they sell in the grocery stores or fast food teriyaki places. I like it fresh and prepared by a real sushi chef.

I eat it all with the notable exception of uni.

Sorry, Stu, but I just don't understand how anyone could eat BAIT!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I like sushi, but love sashimi! My favorite is Toro, and least favorite is akami tuna. Red tuna is just tasteless, to me, though it's probably the most popular raw fish. My others favorites are squid, sea urchin roe and mackerel.

When I was in Tokyo last May, I went to Tsukiji to visit some company customers.

Frozen tuna just before the auction.

Fresh tuna before the auction.

Buyer checking fresh tuna by examining the cut section of the tail. Sometimes they take a small piece of the meat and taste it for oil content...the higher the content, the more expensive the tuna.

With a series of grunts, words and body gestures, unique to each auctioneer, he prods the buyers to bid...higher and higher...watching the crowd for a specific gesture of their offer.

It's quite an experience, my third, and always impressive. We had "lunch" of sushi/sashimi at 8am...we got there at 4:30.

Last edited by Greg Cook; 10-25-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Stu, you have made me hungry. I will be right back. I need to go and check if the light bulb in the fridge is still ON.

Yes, like both. Believe too much rice in the sushi destroys the flavor though. Like all the 'strange' fish. Had some raw shrimp while on the cruise. Never realized just how much great flavor shrimp had that way.
    Are you going to share?

A lot of people have an aversion to 'raw fish', but eating minnows out of the bait bucket or swallowing a gold fish in college and eating sushi are two very different things.

I love Sushi and although I'm no Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods), I'll give most anything a try.

Used to eat it fairly regularly when I worked in Down town San Francisco.

Sashimi is good, but I do like to have the rice with the fish...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Wonderful stuff..... This was just the sashimi part of our dinner at the Okura Hotel in Fukuoka, Japan.

glad you guys enjoyed that

Greg, lunch at 8 AM, OK, but with Beers

I'm looking forward to the Sashimi for dinner
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

Yeah, I stuck with tea, but the guys that work at Tsukiji had been there since 2:30am, so they were ready for a "boost"....

Ready for the sushi chefs that visit each day to pick up their daily requirement for tuna.

Resawing, Tsukiji style...

Now that's a bandsaw....

Enjoy your dinner...fresh wasabi, I hope!