Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a reflective day for me

a reflective day for me

Normally, I don't make much of my birthdays. I have always looked at them as just another number. But, today, I have to admit that I am facing the reality of man's mortal existence. Today, I have used up my Biblical allotment of three score and ten years. It is my 70th birthday. I'm not sure what being 70 years old is supposed to feel like. I feel young and fine. I'm vigorous, healthy and still do things that many of my 50 and 60 year old friends have given up. (like ATV riding, hunting, etc.) I try to think and act young. Nobody likes being around folks who act like old fogeys. But, admittedly, I have been reading the daily obituaries with a different perspective than in the past. I now find it unnerving when all the deceased are younger than me. And that happens fairly frequently. I have never feared death. I'm ready if it happens. But, today, I am confronting the reality that I don't want to die. I'm enjoying life doing what I/we want to do without asking permission or seeking approval. So, what now? I'm sure that I'll stress myself for a couple days then get back to normal. Ever since our son died unexpectedly twelve years ago, I have been acutely aware that tomorrow is not promised. I also know, intellectually, thinking about that is unhealthy. I'll get over it. Have to. I have a life to live.
    Please forgive the self-serving post and over-use of "I". Family and friends and the world around us are what are important. So, my birthday gift to you all is a wish you have a happy day and fulfilled lives.

happy-happy!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Best returns of the day Frank!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

well yu fooled me frank!!!

you didnt look that old, when i saw yu in person... as for the melancholly thoughts you had better get on your atv and go for ride look at the pretty leaves adn then come back and look at your wonderful wife and and go do something fun together! shake it off frank,, i may come back to visit, and you will need to be in top form happy birthday
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Happy birthday Frank, your attitude for age or any age is a good one. Sounds to me your doing the right thing. I have a stepdad with your attitude, and at 80 still keeps that attitude, it's a good one

Tom

Frank Happy Birthday!

My Dad just had his 75th B-day, and my mom and him celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this summer as well, I told him that I realized that if my Dad is turning 75, heck, I'm getting old

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Happy Birthday Frank!

I hope I'm as active as you are once I get to that age, if I get to that age.

My philosophy is every day above dirt level is a good one and worth celebrating in some way.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Happy B-Day! Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Normally, I don't make much of my birthdays. I have always looked at them as just another number. But, today, I have to admit that I am facing the reality of man's mortal existence. Today, I have used up my Biblical allotment of three score and ten years. It is my 70th birthday. I'm not sure what being 70 years old is supposed to feel like. I feel young and fine. I'm vigorous, healthy and still do things that many of my 50 and 60 year old friends have given up. (like ATV riding, hunting, etc.) I try to think and act young. Nobody likes being around folks who act like old fogeys. But, admittedly, I have been reading the daily obituaries with a different perspective than in the past. I now find it unnerving when all the deceased are younger than me. And that happens fairly frequently. I have never feared death. I'm ready if it happens. But, today, I am confronting the reality that I don't want to die. I'm enjoying life doing what I/we want to do without asking permission or seeking approval. So, what now? I'm sure that I'll stress myself for a couple days then get back to normal. Ever since our son died unexpectedly twelve years ago, I have been acutely aware that tomorrow is not promised. I also know, intellectually, thinking about that is unhealthy. I'll get over it. Have to. I have a life to live.
    Please forgive the self-serving post and over-use of "I". Family and friends and the world around us are what are important. So, my birthday gift to you all is a wish you have a happy day and fulfilled lives.
    I hear you Frank. My "friends" are mostly people older then me, say in their 60's and 70s and farmers at that. My ex-wife used to say "Travis you were born old", because that's just the people I hung around with. Personally I can't stand my own generation as their work ethic is pretty bad, but I digress.

Myself, I am not afraid of dying either, and I try to live life to the fullest which can be sometimes construed as living dangerously. I try not to do that, and I try not to relish every minute either so that I get caught up in the mundane, but the other day as we chopped corn on top of a hill, I told Alfred, we don't know what we got sometimes.

I don't want to die either, but I've lived a good life. My only mission now is to try to hold onto what I got by instilling in Alyson values and morals. In your case, you must live by example for your children and grandchildren. You need to show them that there is no reason to fear death, (for reasons that cannot be mention here) and to teach them morals and values along with their parents (your children). By doing that my friend, you and I will live out the remainder of our days as happy people.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Happy Birthday Frank.
    It is when you stop asking these questions, you are too old.