Tail Vise VS Shoulder Vise

Rich Aldrich

I am debating whether to install two front vises on my workbench or one front vise and either a tail vise or should vise.

I dont really understand how to build a vise for the tail vise. Either the vise would have to be offset of the screw or the screw would not allow you to put a piece through the vise.

What are the advantages to the tail or screw vise?

What do you guys use the most?

Rich, The tail vise is mainly for clamping pieces along the top of the bench. You put a bench dog in the vise and a second in the bench depending on how long piece you are clamping is. Then you squeeze the wood between the dogs. It is great if you hand plane a lot. Turn the dogs around and you can use the vise as a spreader. You don't actually use the wooden jaws of the vise to clamp anything.
Hope this helps, Don

Hey Rich,

I have a pair of end vises and a face vise. Does end mean tail? :huh:

Anyway, I use the two vises on the right end of my bench all the time. Sometimes at the same time. I rarely use the one on the long side of the bench. I faced the two end vises with HDPE plastic and clamp stuff in the jaws a lot. There is a row of dog holes in line with each vise.

I don't really remember why I designed it like this back '88, but it has worked out really well for the way I work. :dunno:

Think about how you have wished you could hold something and put a vise there. Get the quick release ones. A few bucks more now but it pays mega dividends in less frustration. :thumb:

Just as a contrast I use the face vise more than the tail. I have a "regular" quick release vise in both positions and have found that the preferred vise stems from geographical location more than anything else for me.

Here is my take on this. You need both.
*depending on the type of work you do

Bench2.JPG

Here is my jointers bench. I find that I use a lot of hand tools and I use the end vice with boards clamped between bench dogs ALL THE TIME! A bench without and end vise and bench dogs would be almost useless to me.

Attached are pictures of Frank Klausz's workbench with a shoulder vise (first picture) and a tail vise (second picture). I decided to put a front vise on the end of the bench and put a shoulder vise on the front of the bench.

Attachments

• Shoulder Vise.jpg
    Shoulder Vise.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Tail Vise.jpg
    Tail Vise.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 101