Four Bowls

Frank Townend

I thought I better prove I really do have a lathe and was able to find the On/Off switch:

2976169874_95f1e395fb.jpg

Clockwise: Cherry with an attached ring, Zebra wood, Birdseye Maple Burl, and one I have forgotten the species.

Nice bowls Frank..I like the maple one the best. You have just given me an idea for a piece of BE maple I have that is warped. Cut it up and make a slab and turn a bowl:D

Thank you Rob. Funny I though I would make this a square-edged bowl but didn't like the look. I took the edges off and "floated" the ring by burning rings on both sides of it with a wire.

I made it to a Woodcraft store the other day and spent some bucks on some exotic turning wood. For now, I'm practicing on an old redwood 4x4 until I feel I can do some of the hi-dollar woods some justice.

It's nice to see some pieces here that are inspiring me to throw caution to the wind!

But, I'm going through a book I bought step by step and looking at youtube vids before I get too crazy!

Frank the bowls look good I like the maple one but how was the zedra wood to turn? My son bought a piece of serpent wood for me to make a bowl for him and it was hard going I just wonder if it was the same :dunno::)

I'll tell you John, the Zebra wood was a pleasure to turn. While some of the "press" I see on the Web says it is a hard wood to work, I felt if I kept my tools sharp and didn't try to remove too much I got a nice clean cut and didn't have to go crazy with the sandpaper.

I bought square bowl blanks from Woodcraft for under $30.

I bought another the other day to turn because I like how it turned out.

Thank you all and I will say folks like you have inspired me to give it a go. While I do have a long way to go, being only 29 means I have a few years to get better. :rofl:

yeah right who you think yur kiddun:D and i am waityun to see that maple bowl up close as well that is one fine piece of maple you have there..:thumb:

I'll tell you John, the Zebra wood was a pleasure to turn. While some of the "press" I see on the Web says it is a hard wood to work, I felt if I kept my tools sharp and didn't try to remove too much I got a nice clean cut and didn't have to go crazy with the sandpaper.

I bought square bowl blanks from Woodcraft for under $30.

I bought another the other day to turn because I like how it turned out.

Frank,
I like the looks of Zebra wood, but it is hard.... in my earlier learning of turning..keep in mind I'm still trying to learn, but I did a Zebra wood bowl of about 8 inch diameter... I was hollowing the inside and got a little careless.. I put the gouge into the bowl too high and snagged, when the tool hit the tool rest, it snapped a 5/8" cast iron tool rest right off the lathe and into several pieces.... I had pieces of iron flying in several directions for just a second or two... after I finished the bowl, got lots of compliments on it.

Same compliments to you... great looking piece of work... actually great looking pieces all around.