My weekend retreat (don't laugh)

We're in a rental house so I'm limited in what I can do, but when we get our own place the shop will be much better.

Shop2.jpg

This is from the front, small but useful.

Shop1.jpg

Assembly table

Shop3.jpg

Homemade miter saw stand from scrap lumber. Maybe overkill for a 10 inch saw but it's SOLID.

Shop4.jpg

Strongest Sawhorses I've ever built, totally from 1x4's.

Attachments

• Shop5.jpg
    Shop5.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
No laughing here. Looks like a fine retreat to me. Any shop is better than no shop, and I'm envious of all your extra room to move around.

Many here would love that open and airy space. You've got the basics setup very well and look to be enjoying it. That is more important than a packed shop or the color of your tools in my book. Have fun. There's time. Enjoy the moment. Wow . . . that was a very philosophical moment for me ;-)

Thanks to everyone for the compliments, but it's not easy using what I have. I have to move 2 lawn mowers, a weedeater, and a grill. Then move my table saw, and when I'm done I get to put everything back and lock it up. But I really enjoy the time I spend out there. I just received a new addition to the shop today, a 13" TV. My wife laughed when I told her that even when I'm in "my room" on the weekends, I still need college football and NASCAR. :D

Bill,

You've got a nice shop. So what if stuff has to get moved around... That's why wheels were invented...

I've got to have my TV in the shop for Nascar and other programs. I may not pay attention the whole time, but I like the noise... :rolleyes:

And here's a picture of a bass...

bass.jpg

Laugh at that....Brother you should see what I have used in the past. My kitchen table for a radial arm saw stand when I was just married. A spare room in the house that meant sawdust flew all through the house, a shed out back that was dusty, dark and moldy...and never once have I rented, so who is the one you should be laughing at.

Even now my shop is small by most standards, a one car garage. But I decided before I built it to make "small work." Its designed well I think, so it works, and considering what I had, I am happy with it.

They say Paris Hilton is a nasty, depressed, little brat because she has never had to struggle for anything in life. When you earn what you got, it feels so sweet and you become happy with the little stuff. Grin and bear your constant relocations brother, and then when you get your place, and you build your dedicated shop, you will be happy...no matter the size.

Trust me, no one is laughing at you. I know I have had, much, much worse.

I think maybe I misled y'all, I'm not complaining at all, it's just a pain in the butt sometimes having to move everything around. I'm thankful for what I have and thankful to have understanding wife who lets me get what I need. In fact I took a vacation day yesterday and made 5 shelves for her. Cut, sanded, stained, and mounted (including the brackets) by the time she got home from work. Will I have better tools in the future, yep, will I have a better shop, yep, and will I be here asking questions and learning, of course.

By the way Brent....super nice bass. I'm guessing 5 pounds or better?

Last edited:
I started in a rental basement. Ever had the fun of moving a 12" RAS down and then up 10' of stairs? How about a full sheet of 3/4" MDF?

There was only one outlet each for 220 or 110. So on the weekends it was "play in shop" XOR "do laundry". Which really meant if we hustled and got laundry done on Saturday I could do shop stuff on Sunday.

Glad you have some space. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in with, "It ain't where the stuff comes out of that's important, but that the stuff comes out at all."

PS - My dogs say that they'd be happy to take that fish from you. They say it's just gonna get stinky and momma will complain about cleaning it - I've never seen them this altruistic before. :rofl:

If I recall, I think that bass was a bit over 4#. Used a 6" chartruese Yamamoto Senko... :thumb:

That was a few years ago in the California Delta area.

Man, I need to get my boat in shape and get fishing again....

The rule in my shop is that everything has to be on wheels. I wish I had the space to leave everything setup, but at this point, it's wheel it out, use it, wheel it back. It's not so bad. I sure do have a lot of fun out there. 1

I think maybe I misled y'all, I'm not complaining at all, it's just a pain in the butt sometimes having to move everything around. I'm thankful for what I have and thankful to have understanding wife who lets me get what I need. In fact I took a vacation day yesterday and made 5 shelves for her. Cut, sanded, stained, and mounted (including the brackets) by the time she got home from work. Will I have better tools in the future, yep, will I have a better shop, yep, and will I be here asking questions and learning, of course.

By the way Brent....super nice bass. I'm guessing 5 pounds or better?

I don't feel you mislead any of us. We are merely "family" and wanted you to know that many of us (if not all) remember where we came from. That's the beauty of woodworking, you cannot just stick a dovetail joint together without practice, or buy a ¼ million dollar shop and make nice things instantaneously.

Like you I am envious of the room some people have, but quality...I have seen some horror-shops produce amazing stuff. People turn the magic of growing cellulose into practical items of beauty, not machines. As it should be...