Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOME Things Are Looking UP

Thumbs up SOME Things Are Looking UP

As most of you know, I have mentioned from time to time about the POORER than average quality, (even for Borgs) of the wood products, AND Management and employees at OUR local HD, and many times drive the 45/50 mile round trip to Midland to go to either the Lowes or the HD there, which is much better. Well, not only is the price of Gas coming down Buuuuut.....I am NO LONGER relegated to having to use the local HD OR make that expensive drive to get my supplies. As of Oct. 18 th, I now have to drive 1.1 miles north on my street, turn right and go 200 yards and make a left turn into the parking lot of our "BRAND NEW LOWE'S" Store, and it is FANTASTIC, with MUCH more and higher quality materials. The Employees are also very nice and helpful, (and did I mention that it is 1 1/2 miles closer than the old HD).

Like I said, SOME Things are definitely looking UP.

I even had a $10 off cupon for my first purchase of 22 studs which was nice.

Yep, that is good news, for your, and you might just see the local HD up their game..................... could happen........
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I too travel farther to get to the "next" HD as the local one surprises me every day it is able to stay open. It must be the big guy's son-in-law's store or something because they are terrible. The Lowe's is much better as far as BORG's go. In their defense, when I lived in central California for a spell, it was the opposite . . . nicest HD I've ever seen.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-27-2008 at 10:32 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yep, that is good news, for your, and you might just see the local HD up their game..................... could happen........
    Yeah, I've been waiting for this for a long time, 'cause even if the new store slacks off some, at least it will give solid competition and the HD will have to improve or shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I too travel farther to get to the "next" HD as the local one surprises me every day it is able to stay open. It must be the big guy's son-in-law's store or something because they are terrible. The Lowe's is much better as far as BORG's go. In their defense, when I lived in central California for a spell, it was the opposite . . . nicest HD I've ever seen.
    I used to deliver to quite a few HD's in my "Trucking Era",(several scattered across Ca. too), and there were sure a lot of differences from one to another, and I think Local and/or Regional Management must have been a big part of it. The ONLY thing I found, (merchandise wise) that I liked better at HD is that they carry the PINK fiberglass insulation which I like a lot better than that White Stuff they carry at Lowe's. In the area where my Daughters live, the HD is much better than the one here, but right across the street there is a monstrous Lowe's and it is definitely a cut above that HD too.

I gather then that these stores are all independently owned?

I know that the woodcraft stores are, but I was not sure about HD etc.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I gather then that these stores are all independently owned?

I know that the woodcraft stores are, but I was not sure about HD etc.
    No, they are chains. But quality of management can vary between stores. Both open a lot of new stores each year and finding good new managers is difficult.

I much prefer Lowe's also. We have a HD almost next to the Lowe's but I go in it, reluctantly, only about once a year. Prices are much higher, service is awful and management has a 'couldn't care less' attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I much prefer Lowe's also. We have a HD almost next to the Lowe's but I go in it, reluctantly, only about once a year. Prices are much higher, service is awful and management has a 'couldn't care less' attitude.
    Out here, I haven't noticed a "large" difference in pricing, BUT, from your description it sounds like you have been HERE, because you described it PERFECTLY.

Annnnnd......Lowe's isn't too greedy to hire Cashiers, and put a LITTLE money back into the local economy. I ALWAYS use the Commercial checkout @ HD though because 90% of the time the machines are hung up and most of the stuff I buy there can't be checked out on those machines anyhow, (or I sure haven't figured out how. Even at the commercial Ck/O, most of the time they only have one cash register open and typical time in the checkout line is 30 to 45 minutes.

And I could wake up tomorrow and be 75 lbs thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    And I could wake up tomorrow and be 75 lbs thinner.
    Excellent Retort, Allen. (And your Odds are probably about the same)