Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score? or waste of money?

Score? or waste of money?

I figured for 70 bucks, I can get some type of experience using a router table.
    It all works, all the pieces including the instruction booklet is included, even a set of cheap router bits(to play with)
    Not sure if I made a score, or threw away 70 dollars.

(I checked my other Ryobi router I use only for rounding over edges of all the outdoor furntiure I make. It seems to fit this table also, Ill experiment eventually)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 206 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 207 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 10-27-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Allen,

It's a score! We all started with something like that. I used mine for over a year before I upgraded. It really does open a whole new world...

Thanks,

Bill

I started with one like that. I got plenty of experience on it before I built my own, larger router table/cabinet.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I've never liked router tables with small surfaces either narrow or short in length. To easy with a moderately large piece to route to lose control. If you can make the top wider & a bit longer for safety do so. I picked up a Rockler router-table top for $20 & also have a shop built router-table on the left side of my Unisaw. Once bit twice shy routers don't know where the project ends & the fingers begin. DAMHIKT. I had 2 of them both went in the dumpster after I disabled them so someone else couldn't use them & get hurt.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I started with one like that. I got plenty of experience on it before I built my own, larger router table/cabinet.
    this is exactly how I figured it. Before I build and spend on parts, I want to try a router upside down.

Allen, I picked that very one up about a year and a half ago on close out at HD....It's served it's purpose for me, but only limited use, (I like spinning wood not bits) The fence is a little weird, if you ask me and I've considered making a new one, but haven't yet.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Not a whole lot different than the Craftsman table I'm currently using - good score!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I think it is a nice score Allen . Heed the advise of others about the smaller table and be carfull. Even so after a while and you want you now have a nice spare plunge router that you can build a larger router table for

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    this is exactly how I figured it. Before I build and spend on parts, I want to try a router upside down.
    Allen,

Your logic is very sound. My response to first-time router tablers is to try it before they buy or build one. Slap a router onto a scrap of plywood and use a 2x4 for a fence until you learn what YOU want in a router table.

No way you can tell what your table needs until you've used one upside down a few times. Ya done good
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

That would be a big upgrade for me.