Score? or waste of money?

allen levine

I figured for 70 bucks, I can get some type of experience using a router table.
It all works, all the pieces including the instruction booklet is included, even a set of cheap router bits(to play with)
Not sure if I made a score, or threw away 70 dollars.

(I checked my other Ryobi router I use only for rounding over edges of all the outdoor furntiure I make. It seems to fit this table also, Ill experiment eventually)

Attachments

• wood stuff 206 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 206 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 66
  • wood stuff 207 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 207 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Allen,

It's a score! ;) We all started with something like that. I used mine for over a year before I upgraded. It really does open a whole new world...

Thanks,

Bill

I've never liked router tables with small surfaces either narrow or short in length. To easy with a moderately large piece to route to lose control. If you can make the top wider & a bit longer for safety do so. I picked up a Rockler router-table top for $20 & also have a shop built router-table on the left side of my Unisaw. Once bit twice shy routers don't know where the project ends & the fingers begin. DAMHIKT. I had 2 of them both went in the dumpster after I disabled them so someone else couldn't use them & get hurt.

Allen, I picked that very one up about a year and a half ago on close out at HD....It's served it's purpose for me, but only limited use, (I like spinning wood not bits) The fence is a little weird, if you ask me and I've considered making a new one, but haven't yet.

I think it is a nice score Allen :thumb:. Heed the advise of others about the smaller table and be carfull. Even so after a while and you want you now have a nice spare plunge router that you can build a larger router table for :D

Tom

this is exactly how I figured it. Before I build and spend on parts, I want to try a router upside down.

Allen,

Your logic is very sound. My response to first-time router tablers is to try it before they buy or build one. Slap a router onto a scrap of plywood and use a 2x4 for a fence until you learn what YOU want in a router table.

No way you can tell what your table needs until you've used one upside down a few times. Ya done good :)

Looks like a Score to me! I'd seriously consider adding onto the table and fence however. use their fence as the base for an auxiliary one which would go the whole width of the table, and then add on a 'U' around two sides and front of the table, even a couple of inches more support would make a big difference.

I have some particle board, when I get some time, Ill put a table around it.
I took a close look at all of it.
No collet wrench, not important, I have one, and no pin, the piece that screws into the table to push small work against. Im guessing when the time comes I feel I need one, I can make one out of a dowel or hard plastic tubing.

The collet and collet nut has some rust on it. (not alot, but Id like to clean it up, as well as the table top)
Should I use some WD40 and something like a scotchbrite pad?