Jeff Horton and Gang.....Restoration Davis-Wells?

Dan Mosley

Davis-Wells Bandsaw restoration question........................
I scraped it down best i could and washed it well............still had alot of greese build up and junk that was on the cast so i started washing it with Laquer thinner........worked fairly good but i ran out......had some acetone and it works very well with some elbow greese and its taking even the old black primer (which was on top of the original paint-aqua color) off it down to the original color .......I have matched the color with a good enamel semi gloss which is almost a perfect match.
Anyway my question is this........the acetone is almost like liquid sandpaper the way its taking the crude off down to the original paint.....Do you think it will still need sanding ?
Ordered a HVLP spray from HF to paint it with and should arrive soon...about a $30-40 one which im hoping will work with my small pancake compressor.........guess i see...........

Thanks in advance.......................

I would still sand. But also, I'd pick up some Super Clean. Its a lot less expensive than acetone and doesn't evaporate so fast. It will proably still remove paint.

Davis-Wells Bandsaw restoration question........................
I scraped it down best i could and washed it well............still had alot of greese build up and junk that was on the cast so i started washing it with Laquer thinner........worked fairly good but i ran out......had some acetone and it works very well with some elbow greese and its taking even the old black primer (which was on top of the original paint-aqua color) off it down to the original color .......I have matched the color with a good enamel semi gloss which is almost a perfect match.
Anyway my question is this........the acetone is almost like liquid sandpaper the way its taking the crude off down to the original paint.....Do you think it will still need sanding ?
Ordered a HVLP spray from HF to paint it with and should arrive soon...about a $30-40 one which im hoping will work with my small pancake compressor.........guess i see...........

Thanks in advance.......................

The Pancake Compressor will work, but you'll just have to paint a little and then let the compressor catch up, and paint a little more, etc.

First, buy some degreaser! I found some called B-52. It's a biodegradable degreaser and it works like gang busters! But any degreaser and a scrub brush is the first step. It will save you a lot of work

Be sure you have any loose or soft paint off. If it is not solid and firmly attached it will show up down the road after your paint it.

Then yes, I would still sand any paint that is left. If not you risk your new paint peeling. But it only takes a light sanding to get the paint to adhere. So you can hand sand the whole saw in a short time. Your just wanting to rough up the paint.

One more thing. You need to feather the edges of then paint where you have two layers or raw metal and paint. Otherwise those transitions will show through and be much more noticeable once painted!

Well, the last thing i usually do before applying paint is to wipe it down with adamp rag damp with denatured alcohol. You're right - the acetone can etch the paint surface so that the new primer/paint has something to grab on to. Sanding may not be necessary, but i woud feather any paint edges that are pronounced.
Sounds like you're having fun with it.
Pics would be great.
paulh