Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blue screws

blue screws

Well, actually the screws aren't blue. But they have blue stuff painted on them.
    I bought some extra screws for holding bits onto turning tools. Some are plain but about half have blue stuff painted on the threads.
    Is this stuff an anti-seize material? Or is it like Loctite to prevent removal?
    Wattzit?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...have blue stuff painted on the threads.
    Is this stuff an anti-seize material? Or is it like Loctite to prevent removal?
    Wattzit?
    It's LocktiteŽ, but it won't prevent removal. It will make it a bit harder, though. What it's intended for is uses where the screw might vibrate loose. The LocktiteŽ keeps that from happening. I use the blue stuff on nearly all my power tool sheaves (pulleys), and have never had a setscrew come loose.

If it were the RED stuff, then it'd be nearly permanent.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Thanks Jim. The blue Loctite will be OK for the intended use. I do use red on gun parts. It will come off but does take some grunting to break loose.

Heat defeats the blue and the red Loctite
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The fire wrench always seems to work. Used a lot of the lock tite when I built big things that went bang.

Hey Frank, has nothing to do with blue screws but I passed thru the beautiful state of Arkansas last week on my way to Oklahoma. From Little Rock to Fort Smith is some gorgeous country. Stopped along I-40 (rest areas) several times to take pics, got off just west of Russellville to explore a big lake and got some beautiful pics of the lake and the leaves beginning to turn color.

Looking forward to getting out that way again, As I said, beautiful country.

Sorry if I disrupted the thread, Tony.

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    Hey Frank, has nothing to do with blue screws but I passed thru the beautiful state of Arkansas last week on my way to Oklahoma. From Little Rock to Fort Smith is some gorgeous country. Stopped along I-40 (rest areas) several times to take pics, got off just west of Russellville to explore a big lake and got some beautiful pics of the lake and the leaves beginning to turn color.

You passed several wood working/turning folks on that trip who would have welcomed, fed and feted you. Come north to near the Missouri state line and you would have found me and Tod. We're both tolerable company. Glad you enjoyed the Arkansas visit, but do stop next time you are this way. Casa Fusco is always open.

Thanks for the info on the blue. Will work for intended use. (posts to come) A little heat to remove won't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post

Pictures, I don't see no pictures

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Pictures, I don't see no pictures
    Pictures ...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101808_133 (600 x 402).jpg   102408_408 (600 x 402).jpg   102408_412 (600 x 402).jpg   102408_417 (600 x 402).jpg  

Tony, BCE '75