end boring problem

Frank Fusco

An upcoming project will require me to bore a 2" hole, end grain into a piece about 34" long.
My drill press, regretfully, is a table top mounted style. Big misteak when I bought it. Wish I had gotten a floor model. Yes, it's green and otherwise a fine tool.
But, no way, no how, I can fit 34" in it.
I don't have a proper steady rest to do it on the lathe.
I could secure in my bench vise and bore with a hand-held drill. Or try to. Nope, I'm pretty sure that would not work. A bore that large with a Forstner bit hand held would grab. Don't need a wrenched wrist.
Enney ideas?

Frank, can you rotate the head of your DP? If so, could you fix it to the bench with the head rotated 180 degrees so it hangs out over the end of the bench and clamp your work to the bench? This makes the floor your DP table.

Just a thought.

Frank, I done this by swinging the DP table out of the way and rigging up a clamping system to the side of the table to clamp the longer piece to. Something similar to this.....

>>>>>Link<<<<

Too bad you're so far away. I got a green drill press, floor model I was thinking of selling. Sorry, not a Grizzly, General Machine from Canada. How deep does the hole have to be? Does the local high school still have a woodshop? If so, for a small donation they may do it or let you come in and use the equipment. Good luck.

Side note, I'm going to the post office today.

The swing thing is a thought. DP isn't designed for that, but, what the hey. We get clever all the time. Hole only has to be 1" deep.
Could use the old Indian technique of burning with hot rocks.
Or, I still have my carving spoon gouge.
Still thunkin' on it.

What about drilling a hole in 1 1/2" thick piece of scrap wood on the drill press, then use that as a guide for your hand held drill to keep it straight. Just a thought.

When I need to bore holes in the end of boards I just turn the head on my dp(12" c-man) and clamp the bored to the side of the cabinet. Then from there I can slide the dp back and forth on the miter slots to get the bit where it needs to be. About 50" is max for height unless I put as ext. under the dp.