Power8 Workshop -integrated power tools in a box

Looks like a good idea but just how robust is it. I noticed from the video the deck was bending when the drill press was used.

At the end of the day its is a plastic box being used as a workbench. Might suite a guy doing small repairs like a home service guy from a builder.

I notice costco US also has them and they are listed at $299. Not sure which version this is

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11282930&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Cool concept, but I agree it doesn't look very beefy. Probably OK for handyman stuff, but not for anything needing accuracy. I noticed the vertical part of the drill press moving (a lot) in the video. I also noticed the video showed crosscutting with the "table" saw while using the fence. I'm guessing at 18v, there's not enough power to worry too much about kickback.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the other tool makers offer anything similar. Seems like Festool could do something like this. (Although the price would likely be astronomical.)

Hi all, I can understand your thoughts and agree with some of them. I'm the inventor and engineer responsible for this product. The idea for this product is not to replace industrial standalone product, but to take the functionality of these product to places not normally possible. It all runs from one of the 18volt batteries supplied so it can't be compared to corded products, just as corded drills and cordless drill have different uses. Our customers so far have been 50% Diy'ers and 50% trade, kitchen fitters, flooring, & general builders etc. One of the key features are that the power tools are not compromised by having extra functions, the only difference being the battery simply separates from the product above the handle instead of the traditional below. This allows the set to pack much smaller and enable the extra functionality. Have a look at it face-to-face to make your own conclusions..
Cheer
Chris :wave:

Welcome aboard, Chris, and thanks for chiming in. :thumb: As I said, it's a cool concept. It is one of the few truly new ideas I've seen in the battery-powered tool arena in a while. Here's wishing you success with it. :)

Hi all, I can understand your thoughts and agree with some of them. I'm the inventor and engineer responsible for this product. The idea for this product is not to replace industrial standalone product, but to take the functionality of these product to places not normally possible. It all runs from one of the 18volt batteries supplied so it can't be compared to corded products, just as corded drills and cordless drill have different uses. Our customers so far have been 50% Diy'ers and 50% trade, kitchen fitters, flooring, & general builders etc. One of the key features are that the power tools are not compromised by having extra functions, the only difference being the battery simply separates from the product above the handle instead of the traditional below. This allows the set to pack much smaller and enable the extra functionality. Have a look at it face-to-face to make your own conclusions..
Cheer
Chris :wave:
Welcome to the forum Chris and, as I said when I introduced this thread, I love your design.

If you were to beef up the system and make it larger and more industrial strength (such as replacing plastic with metal, supporting table extensions, supporting larger batteries, and a few other things that would be obvious to me if I used the system), then I would definately be interested and would probably pay up to $1,000 for it.

thanks for making me feel welcome!!
I only started the company 2 years ago, before I was designing products for other companies, making them loads of cash... There is defiantly room in the market for a full pro version, but as you can imagine there is a lot of investment in a product like this and we decided to make it affordable to the masses and move onto a industrial version later. I've tried to use the best quality material, gearboxes, motors and batteries within our budget. The Sheet metal parts are Tough Stainless steel which means they will flex but will not dent or break. The Unit has a one hour charger system with a secondary charger point, which allows a battery to be charged at the same time as using the benchtop functions. I'm starting to sound like a sales man!! LOL
It’s hard to dethatch yourself when so close to the product. I resonantly fitted a Bamboo floor through my kitchen and dining room and found the table saw and scroll saw functions of the product invaluable, being able to drag it behind be whilst laying the boards saved hours.
Cheer
Chris

Chris, I understand why you went for the mass market first and I think you have done a good job in marketing the product -in particular with the videos and the manual. I wish you success and hope that you do get around to making an industrial strength unit some day.

My assumption is that you live in the UK and that the Power8 Workshop is made in China. Am I correct with these guesses?

I see that the product is available in both the UK and in in the USA. Is it sold in Canada somewhere that I could take a look at it?

I think its a great concept and was considering buying one
for my non-wood working electrician son.

If you don't mind I would like to ask.....

Does it take standard size saw blades or must they be ordered
from your company?

Do you sell extra power handles?

Does the jig saw take tee shank blades or regular shank blades?

And out of curiosity
Are you going to be releasing a heavier duty unit in the near future with lithium ion batteries?

Dave

Last edited: