dust collection

J W Seals

Hi , I`m having trouble trying to install my dust collector in my shop.
I can`t determine if I should use pvc or flex hose. Witch is better ?

Please Help.

Welcome to the Family JW :wave:

I used PVC pipe, as it was way cheaper than flex hose, and the smooth inside of the PVC keeps the air moving faster than the flex hose.

I use the flex hose that is smooth on the inside (expensive!) but only at the very end of the run, at the machine, I try to keep it to a minimum, as it is expensive and reduces air flow, over PVC.

Cheers!

Flex hose has to much restriction. The pvc is smooth on the inside and allows the the air to move better. Size alos makes a difference. What do you have for a collector?

I've used snaplock pipe for all of my DC runs. There have been too many stories about static shock in PVC installations unless you run a ground wire. I use a small amount of flex that has a wire in it for some final connections and for connecting to some machines I have on carts.

hey JW i too used pvc and it made a big differnce in my setup but as tod states his questions need to be answered for the best solution to occur. use very little flex as bill stated.

I use 110mm PVC for all my main pipes and 50mm PVC down from my ceiling to the workbench. The 50mm downpipes is on 1.4m long, but useless - to much friction. I am in the process of changing this to 110mm as well.

You will need some flexible to connect to the machien, but as said before, try to get the smooth one - and keep it as straight as posible.

Uys

reply: dust collection

I`m using a cyclone dust collector I picked up at Harbor fright and added
a 40 gallon can. I don`t know yet what size pipe or hose I will be using yet.
I would like to get all the info I can before I spend that money. My shop is a
24 x30 and I will have my equipment on two walls.

Thank you for your replays.

jw if you could be more explicit on your cyclone it would help in leading you in good direction ,,tod has alot to offer but we need to know for one thing the size of your motor and impellor on your cyclone that is what determines the abilty to draw away your dust and chips.. also the length of runs also are critcial in the info given. there is agod bok out there from tauton press on dust collection that would be very helpful to you in this endeavor.

The dust collection syatem I have is 2HP, 120 volt , 60 HZ , 20 AMP.
It has a 4 inch intake 3450 RPM at 1550 CFM air suction.

I`m not sure what the lingth of the runs will be hopefully it will not be over
30 ft.

The dust collection syatem I have is 2HP, 120 volt , 60 HZ , 20 AMP.
It has a 4 inch intake 3450 RPM at 1550 CFM air suction.

I`m not sure what the lingth of the runs will be hopefully it will not be over
30 ft.

Your DC "May" be the same model as Vaughn's, and if so, he can show you what he has done to his to make it work well.

It does sound like the same specs as my Harbor Freight DC, although I'm not using any permanent piping. I'm just using a 20' x 4" flex hose, and I move it from machine to machine.

If I were doing a permanent installation, I'd probably go with as big of PVC as I could get away with...hopefully 6" for the main lines. Any smooth pipe will likely be better than flex hose. Not to be contrary to Bill, but I've read a lot of concern about static electricity in ungrounded PVC, and a lot of evidence to indicate it's not a problem. (For one, you can't ground a non-conducting material, as far as I know.) It's one of those never-ending debates, and the only right answer (in my opinion) is to do what you feel is best.

j.w., here`s a link to a pic of vaughn`s hf dust collector;

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22948&d=1218924778

if this is what you`re running there`s a few ways it can be souped up. maybe vaughn will link to his modifications of the discharge side?
for the intake side removing the plate that has 3 ports coming off of it and replacing it with a single 6" then remove the pump from the stand and place it at the end of your 6" run so the air has a straight in shot at the impeller, run a sweeping discharge hose to your filter/collection bin, no sharp turns!

... Not to be contrary to Bill, but I've read a lot of concern about static electricity in ungrounded PVC, and a lot of evidence to indicate it's not a problem. (For one, you can't ground a non-conducting material, as far as I know.) ...
Vaughn, I've heard people state it both ways as well. Static charge build-up is real in any moving-air system and is more severe in less humid environments.

PVC itself cannot be "grounded", of course. The purpose of wrapping a conductive wire around the PVC and attaching it to the dust collector is to drain off any static charge that builds up. The wire isn't "grounding" the PVC, it is collecting the static charge that builds up on the PVC.

As to static charges building up, I have felt a small amount of charge when using one piece of 4" flex that has no integral wire. It is much like shop-vac hose -- ridged, but no wire. Because it's a short section, the only sensation is the hair on my arm being pulled toward the pipe. I can only imagine how much charge could build up over a 30' run of plactic pipe.

:)