Gathering parts for a Greenhouse/shop

Greg Cook

I plan on making a greenhouse for my garden...but it could probably work for a small shop too...

Some of the lumber I've gathered. The grey boards in the left pic are "manufactured" lumber I got from a contractor just before he dropped them in the recycle trailer.

These are two 4' x 8' double pane window units I got off freecycle. They were from a remodel, and are still in great shape. I got the smaller sliding windows, and screens too. I plan on using them on the sunny side wall of a 20' x 18' building.

These are three 4' x 8' units. I plan on using 2 of them on the roof.

I got the smaller sliding windows, and screens too.

I plan on a wood floor, electricity and water in the bldg. The site is about 15' to 20' from my garage/faucet.

All I need now is better weather to get started.

Greg

Frank,

It will be a "shop" for a short while (I hope) as I add cabinets, shelves, and other things needed to make it a nice greenhouse. :D With our relatively short growing season, and sun blocking trees on my property, I need to get started early with my seeds. So for now, I'll be focusing on a greenhouse, but the best laid plans can go astray....:D Either way, it's going to be an interesting construction project. Actually, my first "building" start to finish, basically by myself. I will have to get some help lifting the windows...they are very heavy!:eek:

Greg

Greg,
GREAT score on the building materials!

I bet your building turns out great too, and I look forward to seeing it progress.

If you don’t already have it, twist Frank Pellow’s arm for a CD documenting his shop construction. It contains a veritable wealth of information

Frank Chaffee

Frank,

It will be a "shop" for a short while (I hope) as I add cabinets, shelves, and other things needed to make it a nice greenhouse. :D With our relatively short growing season, and sun blocking trees on my property, I need to get started early with my seeds. So for now, I'll be focusing on a greenhouse, but the best laid plans can go astray....:D Either way, it's going to be an interesting construction project. Actually, my first "building" start to finish, basically by myself. I will have to get some help lifting the windows...they are very heavy!:eek:

Greg

Greg,

Nice collection of material there...

Good luck with your project. Be sure to ask questions if there are things you think we might be able to help you with. Oh, and be sure to keep us updated with pictures.

- Marty -

Yo! Frank...where's the CD? LOL

"If you don’t already have it, twist Frank Pellow’s arm for a CD documenting his shop construction. It contains a veritable wealth of information"

Do you think this would work?

083002criticalmass658.jpg

:eek:

:D

Would like to get a copy.

I'll be sure to take pics as the project gets along. All I need is some dry weather breaks to get started, first on the area prep.

Here's the spot where it'll go. Right in the corner, but not blocking the gate. I may go a bit further to the right of the gate.

I appreciate all the offers of help. I know I'll be needing it sooner than later....

Last edited:
"If you don’t already have it, twist Frank Pellow’s arm for a CD documenting his shop construction. It contains a veritable wealth of information"

083002criticalmass658.jpg

I'll be sure to take pics as the project gets along. All I need is some dry weather breaks to get started, first on the area prep.

Here's the spot where it'll go. Right in the corner, but not blocking the gate. I may go a bit further to the right of the gate.

I appreciate all the offers of help. I know I'll be needing it sooner than later....
Yup Greg,
I think that method would work just fine, but I doubt that that much persuasion would be required, as Frank has been very forthcoming with info thus far.

Should he be playing hard to get these days, before you have the Mounties take him down, PM me and I will burn and send a copy of his disc to you.

Oops, that may not be legal w/o his permission…

Not sure what to say at this point…

Frank Chaffee

The journal about the construction of my shop

Greg,

If you don’t already have it, twist Frank Pellow’s arm for a CD documenting his shop construction. It contains a veritable wealth of information

Frank Chaffee

a photo

Frank, thanks for the recommendation.

Greg, I would be happy to mail you a CD with a copy of my journal. Just send me your mailing address in a private email.

Both of you should know that I am working on a revision to the original notes and expect to have this task completed in about a month. Greg, I recommend that you wait until the revision is ready, but will send you a copy of the original if you really want it. Just let me know

LOL, thanks Stu

I am working on getting the garage cleaned out, finally, especially one bay that should work for a shop. (Too many times across the pond...7, I think... is evident in all the "stuff" we have acquired). The spot is the only area on our property that gets any amount of sun pretty much all day, hence the idea of placing the GH there. However......;)

Greg