Interesting BS fence idea from Carter

I dunno how something like this would do for resawing. One of the main points of resawing is not tipping. I haven't seen "switchable" magnets strong enough to prevent 6 (or *gasp* more) inches of long, heavy board from tipping over and knocking the magnets loose. Maybe my understanding of the forces are underestimating the magnetic holding power but i sure wouldn't wanna be proven right half way through a piece of waterfall bubinga!

At first blush it looks good. Especially for my big bandsaw since it has no fence and because of the big table it is hard to find something for it.

But then when you think about adjusting it every time...... I don't think so Tim. I think this is going to be a Royal pain in the posterior and probably not on the market long.

On second though it would work on a router table where you don't have to make it parallel to the blade.

...But then when you think about adjusting it every time...... I don't think so Tim. I think this is going to be a Royal pain in the posterior and probably not on the market long.

Yeah. Without some reference to square/drift angle at the front of the table, you'd have to reset it every time you moved it. Also, since nearly every blade drifts differently, you'd need some reference for that, too.

...On second though it would work on a router table where you don't have to make it parallel to the blade.

Yabbut... Not many router tables are iron. Most are wood, formica®, etc.

I had edited my original concerns but you have all hit on them. Some folks complain that they can't adjust their fences for drift, some don't want to. I'm in the adjust your saw, not your fence camp myself. For the price it seems there could be a more elegant method of releasing it than just leverage ;-)

Boy do I have serious concerns about this not being locked down. I've done a fair bit of experimenting with rare earth mags for shop stuff and in my experience this just isn't secure enough from deflection. In most cases where it's darn near impossible to remove something by directly trying to pull things apart, the only way to remove them is to slide it sideways until it's off the metal/mag or mag/mag contact. And that aint all that hard to do. I'd have to see this working up close and personal with a few stiff palm whacks or dead blow smacks before I trusted it.

"Maybe" there is some application this would be useful for,:huh: but I sure don't see it as being very practical for normal use, and like Doug said, I would certainly have to give it a few good test whacks before I would even consider trusting it, (of course that is just MY opinion). I don't believe I would have any interest in this NEW toy.