Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some of what I do

Some of what I do

Just joined the forum, nice place. A little introduction if you havent read my post on the welcome page. I make custom duck, goose and turkey calls, most of which are produced on the lathe. The calls I dont make on the lathe are hewn from a solid block of wood and checkered by hand. Here is a small selection of what I have made. Also, I really enjoy using hard to find woods and woods that others may not have used

The first are a few duck calls and one goose call. Some of the duck calls will have bands that I turn out of elk antler, others will have brass bands that I make out of 1 1/4 brass tubing, others will have bands made of wood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maple burl eir (443 x 600).jpg   maple burl pink ivory goose (488 x 600).jpg   plum blkwd (506 x 600).jpg   honey locust (486 x 600).jpg  

turkey calls

These are friction style calls ( for those who arent calls savvy, just means you rub a striker over the surface to produce the sound of a hen turkey)
    These calls are either one or two sided. One of the calls will be shown without any surfaces, this call is really unique. The wood is red malle burl from Australia. This wood is full of little inclusions that, no matter how much you sand, you will only uncover more inlcusions. So what I did was, sand to 500 grit, then fill each inclusion with silver. The photo doesnt do the call justice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bocote back.jpg   bubinga back.jpg   red mallee side (600 x 466).jpg   splt mpl slate glass.jpg  

Wow really nice work there Lee. I guess for guys that hunt calls are like lures to guys that fish. You can never have enough of them. Only problem I see here is these are way too good looking to take into the field not that I am a hunter.
    cheers

Lee, that is some fantastic work, very professional.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Now thats some impressive stuff Lee
    Jay

Nice!

I'm really liking what I see!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Lee,

Those calls are really beautiful.

Just wondering, where do you get your reeds for them? Are they doubles or singles?

My calling abilities are not very well developed. I've been known to make dogs cry and my wife laugh with my calling talents....

Still, I have a feeling this is one of those projects I'd like to give a shot. (Pun, probably intended).
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Lee,

Those are beautiful. Nice woods and great execution.
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Great work, Lee. I've only made a few calls (all predator calls...gifts for my nephews) and they sure weren't as nice as yours.

Welcome aboard, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thank you everyone. I take great pride in what I make, and believe me, if it wont hunt, I WONT sell it. Unfortunately, most of my calls are purchased and then placed on someone's mantle That call will look just as good covered in mud and blood as it would covered in dust on a mantle, but who am I to argue the point.

Brent,
    All of my duck calls are single reed Arkansas style calls and I make the reeds myself out of .010 mylar. You can get the mylar at Hobby Lobby or eBay or from THO Gamecalls

Vaughn,
    I make a wood duck call that I also use to imitate the sound of a red tailed hawk ( great locator call for spring turkeys), I can also imitate a squirrell or a wounded rabbit for predator hunting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blkgum woodduck (520 x 600).jpg