Drawer slide help needed.

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Before I can start making drawers I am finding it necessary to choose drawer slides. They have different specs for the drawers, as most of you know, not me :p. So many choices, so many prices :eek:. So I am lookng for recomendations on slides. Drawers will be 1/2" sides, 22" depth (can adjust any as needed). really want under mounts so the dovetails will not be covered. They are inset panels, not overlap. Brand does not matter to me as long as they are good slides.

Thank you in advance to any sugestions/ideas.

Tom

Tom, I am longing to see the answers you get to this post. Whatever you do dont do what I did. I built Tom Clarks shop cabinet design from an ealier post recently. He used decent draw slides with full extensions. I had 16 draws to complete in my two cabinets and many of them are deep draws. I got sticker shock (happened at the same time as this financial crisis) and bought the single rail bottom draw mount versions. They run on nylon rollers were very cheap but alignement ....what a mission.
I responded to your post because I went out last night to my shop to get a extension cable that I needed for the Halloween lights and could not remember which draw I put it in. When I pulled the heavy draws out i found the draw slides wanting. Very sluggish even on the ones that were properly fitted. I saw Royall has also recently built the same cabinets and I noticed he did not make my mistake. When things turn around I will definitely be changing the draw slides out. They are going to drive me nuts.

Best of luck with the choice just remember one gets what one pays for is the old saying.

Before I can start making drawers I am finding it necessary to choose drawer slides. They have different specs for the drawers, as most of you know, not me :p. So many choices, so many prices :eek:. So I am lookng for recomendations on slides. Drawers will be 1/2" sides, 22" depth (can adjust any as needed). really want under mounts so the dovetails will not be covered. They are inset panels, not overlap. Brand does not matter to me as long as they are good slides.

Thank you in advance to any sugestions/ideas.

Tom

If you want undermounts you can't go wrong with Blum. Are these for kitchen cabs? Or???

Blum makes a couple of weight classes and extension types and the top of the line soft close. They are very easy to install and adjust. Be prepaired for sticker shock!!

I put the soft close in my kitchen and now no matter how 'miffed' the teenager is she can't slam a drawer! Now if they made one with a remote to close them, we'd never have drawers left open!

The full extension glides that I'm using are bottom line from CS Hardware. I think they have Blum and some low cost Blum knock-offs available.

Hey Rob, I'm not out of the woods on my cabinet:( The photos look good but there is a slight problem with having gotten each of the middle leg assy's square front to back and causing me to have to shim the back end of the glides out a bit. No biggy with these glides but did have the same problem on another cabinet a few years ago. I was using the same glides you're using and found the drawer falling off the glide when the drawer was closed!:eek: Has to shim those too:doh: Wish I was a little better in my woodworking:eek: Just have to keep practicing:D "Practicing Woodworkerr" dose that put me in the same league as a Practicing attorney or Practicing Physician??:rofl::rofl:

So far I think blum slides may be the one. I agree with you Jim about
woodworkers Hrdware. They are good to deal with. We bought our pulls and knobs from them. Nice product, service and price. Here is the slides I am thinking of using http://wwhardware.com/media/products/a pcharts/b552hdrawerdia.
Rob I agree with you with "just remember one gets what one pays for is the old saying." We have been taking our time with this project so hopefully no major construction mistakes or design mistakes will happen :eek:. We have tried to think out all aspects and am trying to do no shortcuts due to costs.
John, these are kitchen cabinets.
Thanks Royall, I will try CS Hardware also nd check their product/pricing.

Thanks for the responses, the will help with my decision

Tom

Another vote for the Blum Undermount slides from WW Hardware.
I use them a lot and they are great, and the soft close feature is super. They cost a little more but well worth it in my opinion.
Chuck

The full extension glides that I'm using are bottom line from CS Hardware. I think they have Blum and some low cost Blum knock-offs available.

Hey Rob, I'm not out of the woods on my cabinet:( The photos look good but there is a slight problem with having gotten each of the middle leg assy's square front to back and causing me to have to shim the back end of the glides out a bit. No biggy with these glides but did have the same problem on another cabinet a few years ago. I was using the same glides you're using and found the drawer falling off the glide when the drawer was closed!:eek: Has to shim those too:doh: Wish I was a little better in my woodworking:eek: Just have to keep practicing:D "Practicing Woodworkerr" dose that put me in the same league as a Practicing attorney or Practicing Physician??:rofl::rofl:

Hi Royall ...thats exactly the issue I have had with my glides. I guess the next cabinet I will have learnt. One thing though Jim is quoting prices in the 30's and that is way too steep for my pocket for shop cabinets. So now I dont feel to bad with my HD cheapies. I would think twice though on a kitchen. Especially with my sons. Hey who said auto and remote closing draws...what about pantry doors, fridge doors etc etc. I almost begun to think these guys were born in a stable.