Inlays in wood turning question

Dan Mosley

I have seem some websites where turners have inlayed stone,metal shavings etc into wood, made some really nice carvings into the bowls they have turned, enhanced the cracks and filled them, enhanced the bad areas with carvings etc... and some are really fantastic looking. My questions for anyone who does this is:
1- foredom makes a great carver - what are thoughts on the carvers used to do detail carving in the turnings ?
This seems to be the nicest rotary tool ive seen and plenty of power. I know its not cheap but it is a good tool from the websites ive been reading.
2- i have used some stone myself in some turnings and looks good - using CA glue and turning and sanding down.....anyone doing it any differently ?

Dan

Last edited:
I haven't done any inlays yet Dan, but I'm looking forward to learning more. I'd like to include them in some lidded boxes and stoppers. We had a great thread in the last couple of weeks that covered inlays in pens...still working on that one. Ted Sokolowski's new DVD, due out next spring/summer is going to cover French Polishing and inlays, both metal and wood.

Dan, I know the Foredom is used by a lot of turner/carvers. It (or something like it) is on my "one of these days" list. The latest rage seems to be high-speed air drills, like a dentist uses. I've been reading of more and more people switching to those.

Thanks for the reply's on the carving tool..............
I have been reading alot about the carving tools and have concluded so far that the foredom is the best one currently out there. I know it is not cheap but with the higher RPM's it is capable of and the reviews ive read it would seem to be the choice. That being said i was disappointed not to be able to find a video demo on any websites including foredoms website. I have checked U-tube and dont see anything there either.
It is on my wish list to and i want to learn more and still hunting for a FREE online demo or video that shows the tool in action. I can think of several good uses for it but holding off due to the cost for the moment....
So my hunt continues for the video demo and to gather input from others who are using it or similar type carvers......would be interesting to carve out and inlay stone and then finish the bowl......or would be interesting to carve in a animal or something and fill it with different color stones,metals etc like i have seen on other turnings........ok im rattling now......LOL
Seems like another avenue to look into........keep the thoughts comming...........Thanks again Dan

Dan, I know the Foredom is used by a lot of turner/carvers. It (or something like it) is on my "one of these days" list. The latest rage seems to be high-speed air drills, like a dentist uses. I've been reading of more and more people switching to those.

A friend of mine in our woodturning club, who is both very expert and highly artistic, uses one of those air powered 400,000 rpm dealies and turns out some really beautiful work. He says using it is similar to using a felt tip marker. Sounds like an endorsement to me.