Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: delta vs dewalt planer -12.5-13 inch

delta vs dewalt planer -12.5-13 inch

I dont want to be a pain in the neck, but Im a bit confused on this. Ok, alot confused. This raw wood stuff is all new to me.
    I knew Id had to purchase one, but Im not sure what exactly is best for my needs. I can read specs, but Id prefer if anyone here can explain to me the big differences in the 400 dollar range.
    My preferences:
    Easy to operate, maintain, and blade change.
    Accurately plane the stock for me without too much guess work on my end.
    space and size is always a consideration, and weight, I have to be able to put it away out of the way, it wont have any dedicated work space unless Im using it.
    Basically, uncomplicated operation and best performance for the buck.

Ill try not to bother anyone much after this purchase, Ill wing it.
    (I managed to find Tod Evans jig for straight ripping boards through Rigids forums, that took me back to a thread here.)

Allen I have the 13" Dewalt and love it. Nice smooth cuts (3 blades dual speeds). Accurate piece of equipment. If weight is an issue this may be a problem, it weighs 95 lbs I believe. I do not have a deticated space for mine either, I just put on my table saw 1 side at a time. Can't help with info on the delta sorry.

Good luck

Tom

Allen asked, "Basically, uncomplicated operation and best performance for the buck."

In that category, my vote, the Grizzly G0505. And you will have money left over from the budget mentioned.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0505

Why does the delta planer state finishing planer?
    I thought they all plane the wood to a basically smooth overall finish.

Finishing planer feed speed is 179 cuts per inch for smooth finished cuts as opposed to demensioning speed of 96 cuts per inch (at least those speeds on my dewalt, should be about the same on the delta). So basicly more cuts per inch for a finishing plainer.

Tom

I had the one that Frank said and I paid $100.00 for it form the scratch and Dent department and that was about $200.00 to much for it. It only has 2 knifes and thats not enough it make it to under powered, I planed 1 board with it and burned up the belt.

I had a Transpower planer of same type (one of the first ones on the market back then) and ran several hundred thousand feet through it. I ran it almost every day for over 6 years with out a problem but it had 3 knifes and that makes a tremendous deferents in how it will work.

Some of the newer bench top planers have revisable and disposable knifes and that is a plus because the knifes can sometimes be a pain to set up.

Jay

DW734 here. Three knives, single speed, really like it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have the Delta TP-305...their cheapest one, a.k.a. The Snipemaster. It does OK, but I'd recommend getting one that's a little higher on the food chain. I've read good comments on the Delta 22-580, and there are a lot of happy DW 734 and DW735 owners out there. I think the only negative things I've seen about the DeWalts is the disposable blades don't seen to last very long for some folks. Other people have reported no problems.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

cast iron and horsepower.........neither of the lunchbox type planers you name has either.....i`d shop on the availability of local service and blade cost. just about all of these planers behave the same and once you get used to their operation you`re left with blade changes and service....if you don`t mind slightly heavier, the tai/chi 15" units can often be had used for about the same money as a new lunchbox and they have some horsepower and cast iron.....it`s been my experience that most of the 15" units look to have rolled down the same assembly line and been outfitted with different paint and electrics...
    something to think about....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

for someone like me, buying used equipment is a questionable task.
    I might go for a 50 dollar router or 70 router table, but spending 5-7 hundred on a used planer is dangerous, since I know little about machinery, and even less about repairs and what to look for.