delta vs dewalt planer -12.5-13 inch

allen levine

I dont want to be a pain in the neck, but Im a bit confused on this. Ok, alot confused. This raw wood stuff is all new to me.
I knew Id had to purchase one, but Im not sure what exactly is best for my needs. I can read specs, but Id prefer if anyone here can explain to me the big differences in the 400 dollar range.
My preferences:
Easy to operate, maintain, and blade change.
Accurately plane the stock for me without too much guess work on my end.
space and size is always a consideration, and weight, I have to be able to put it away out of the way, it wont have any dedicated work space unless Im using it.
Basically, uncomplicated operation and best performance for the buck.

Ill try not to bother anyone much after this purchase, Ill wing it.
(I managed to find Tod Evans jig for straight ripping boards through Rigids forums, that took me back to a thread here.)

Allen I have the 13" Dewalt and love it. Nice smooth cuts (3 blades dual speeds). Accurate piece of equipment. If weight is an issue this may be a problem, it weighs 95 lbs I believe. I do not have a deticated space for mine either, I just put on my table saw 1 side at a time. Can't help with info on the delta sorry.

Good luck

Tom

Finishing planer feed speed is 179 cuts per inch for smooth finished cuts as opposed to demensioning speed of 96 cuts per inch (at least those speeds on my dewalt, should be about the same on the delta). So basicly more cuts per inch for a finishing plainer.

Tom

I had the one that Frank said and I paid $100.00 for it form the scratch and Dent department and that was about $200.00 to much for it. It only has 2 knifes and thats not enough it make it to under powered, I planed 1 board with it and burned up the belt.

I had a Transpower planer of same type (one of the first ones on the market back then) and ran several hundred thousand feet through it. I ran it almost every day for over 6 years with out a problem but it had 3 knifes and that makes a tremendous deferents in how it will work. :thumb:

Some of the newer bench top planers have revisable and disposable knifes and that is a plus because the knifes can sometimes be a pain to set up.

Jay

I have the Delta TP-305...their cheapest one, a.k.a. The Snipemaster. It does OK, but I'd recommend getting one that's a little higher on the food chain. I've read good comments on the Delta 22-580, and there are a lot of happy DW 734 and DW735 owners out there. I think the only negative things I've seen about the DeWalts is the disposable blades don't seen to last very long for some folks. Other people have reported no problems.

cast iron and horsepower:D.........neither of the lunchbox type planers you name has either:eek:.....i`d shop on the availability of local service and blade cost. just about all of these planers behave the same and once you get used to their operation you`re left with blade changes and service....if you don`t mind slightly heavier, the tai/chi 15" units can often be had used for about the same money as a new lunchbox and they have some horsepower and cast iron.....it`s been my experience that most of the 15" units look to have rolled down the same assembly line and been outfitted with different paint and electrics...
something to think about....

for someone like me, buying used equipment is a questionable task.
I might go for a 50 dollar router or 70 router table, but spending 5-7 hundred on a used planer is dangerous, since I know little about machinery, and even less about repairs and what to look for.

Any of the better portables that have some method of locking the cutterhead or preventing snipe should serve you well. The Delta TP400/22-580, DeWalt DW745/735, Ridgid, or Makita would all be on my short list. From there I'd look for a deal.

I've owned the Delta 22-560 (now the TP400), and now have the 22-580. The two speeds of the 580 is nice on some occasions and has some advantages with tough woods, but I'm not overly impressed with the design of the dust chute or the material of the rollers, as they seem to need to be cleaned off often or the wood slips. The 560 had slightly better DC and the chute was much easier to put on and take off. It also didn't require the rollers to be cleaned as often. :huh:

50 bucks is a mid priced router bit.........learning about your equipment is something you will do whether you want to or not......it`s life in the woodshop.

50 bucks is a mid priced router bit.........learning about your equipment is something you will do whether you want to or not......it`s life in the woodshop.

Please understand I value your opinion very highly. Id be foolish not to listen to someone with your skills and knowledge.

My main problem is space, not cost.(and my total lack of experience or knowledge of anything mechanical)

I have to "stack" my machinery, so I can fit it all.

If I cant lift it and store it under something else, I dont have the room.

I'm a VERY happy DW734 owner. I wouldn't even consider the 735 i'm so happy with the 734. I can't be convinced the extra $100-200 price is worthwhile since my 734 does everything I need it to and more.

It weighs less than the 735, but i'm not sure I know of ANY that aren't a beast to move. They're just heavy buggers, all there is to it. If anything, I'd consider a very short rolling base for it and just leave it low to the ground if you can. I had it like that in my first shop (that was 8x23 and had ALL the standard tools crammed in it one way or another). Now that I have more room, i have a taller cabinet that I keep it on and it works well for that. I don't think i'd wanna lift any of 'em, though.

Thankyou for all the solid advice and insight.
I appreciate any info I can get.
I went with the dewalt735.

well lets see it allen didnt happen with out pics,, and between you and the family we can come up with a way for you to move it where you need to somehow ,,maybe nikki can help us out on that.. but we need pics allen :D:thumb:

I started my day early, had to varnish up a few things, had to run over to vote before the lines become ridiculous.
Had to run over and get a hinge for that storage box, so that thing will be done, and when I got home, I realized I could barely stand on my feet.
I try to ignore Im ill, cause I hate to sound like a wimp, so I go on about my life, and it hit me like a brick wall around 11:30. I couldnt make it into the bed, like I was crawling.
Im just going to leave the planer for a couple of days. I already had cut down a piece of MDF to make the Tod Evans straight edge ripping jig, but my body decided it had enough.
Its sitting on the table. (wish I was 30 again)

Attachments

• wood stuff 282 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 282 (Medium).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 21
  • wood stuff 283 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 283 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 30
its OK allen to take a nap!

ya dun good fer today:thumb: you got your duty done in the polls and and got us a pic besides.. just have pleasent dreams of tommrrow and playun with your new planer:D:thumb: